Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I performed the needed minor adjustment to my steering head bearings this morning. (Carry over task from my thread on one more maintenance thing to worry about).

Since I really didn't want to remove the ignition lock again just to get at the clamp bolt where the stem goes up through the triple clamp, I picked up a cheap (88 cents) set of allen keys. Took the 5 mm key and cut the short end down to about 8 mm in length. The key only buries 5 mm into that size bolt, so 6-8 mm of key sticking out is ideal for this job. Now with the steering at left full lock the allen key just fits into the clamp bolt. If you need more leverage to break it loose, just put a small box end wrench over the long end to give you a longer lever.

After making the adjustment, I wanted to get a good feel for smooth operation with no binding. This should be done with the weight of the bike on the front end since that is the way the bearings are loaded most of the time. Tire scrub while sitting still and turning the wheel makes it hard to feel what the bearings are doing.

So the quick solution is to find a clean and smooth spot on the garage floor, put a double thickness of wax paper down with a paper plate on top to keep the wax out of the tire and act as a little turntable. Roll the bike onto the plate/wax paper and the steering turns almost like it's hanging in midair.
If there's any binding or catchiness in the bearings, you would be able to feel it this way.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
ah the old wax paper trick,, very nice 8)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts