Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok you guys out there with all this combined knowledge, i have a standard 904 monster carb version 1999, i would like it to have a little more power with out breakin the bank any ideas , i have blue flame cans on it that all so basically bog standard, any ideas ? ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
799 Posts
If you havn't done so already, I'd recommend a Factory Pro jet kit and pod filters. These are really about the cheapest performance mods you can do. And I've been fooling with the carb settings on my 98 carby 900, and after 3 dynos and many many times having the carbs off, I finally have to right size jets to suit my intake/exhaust setup. If you are interested I can help you tune your carbs as well.

And for more money you can just buy some Keihin FCR Carbs, which are very very nice from what I hear.

Any of these parts can be had from Chris at CA-Cycleworks: http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts
KHM said:
If you havn't done so already, I'd recommend a Factory Pro jet kit and pod filters.
Thats actually the _second_ thing I'd suggest. If you want a bit more "fun" for only a few dollars, I reckon the best bang-for-buck mod you can do is shorten the gearing. Try a 14 tooth front sprocket.

big
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
799 Posts
bigiain said:
Thats actually the _second_ thing I'd suggest. If you want a bit more "fun" for only a few dollars, I reckon the best bang-for-buck mod you can do is shorten the gearing. Try a 14 tooth front sprocket.

big
Yep, didn't mention this as my mind was on engine parts and whatnot.... but the 14 tooth gearing is a VERY VERY popular mod with these bikes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey guys thanks for the input, i am gonna try the air filter and breather root first, i dont really want to do engine stuff, then maybe look at the 14 tooth sprocket too, any way cheers all, beers all round !!! [thumbsup]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
429 Posts
Run the bike on ideal weather conditions 0 deg C and at sea level (0m - 1Atm).


It's the best thing you can do from a thermodynamic point of view and surely is the cheapest one....


[thumbsup]


:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
cajones said:
hey guys thanks for the input, i am gonna try the air filter and breather root first, i dont really want to do engine stuff, then maybe look at the 14 tooth sprocket too, any way cheers all, beers all round !!! [thumbsup]
Not much point to throwing more air into the equation if you don't have any means of increasing the fuel delivery.

I have a 98 Monster 900s and did the 14 tooth upgrade - loved it; better wheelies and quicker off the mark. Since then I have had a Factory Pro Jet kit installed and am now pulling 84HP out of it (stock standard is about 72 for our years I think). The local shop race Monster 900 is only pulling 86 with FCR's.

KHM said:
If you are interested I can help you tune your carbs as well.
This is a great offer. Don't be fooled into thinking the jet kit is the majority of the cost, if you haven't got access to someone like this and a dyno, there's going to be a fair labor cost associated with this upgrade.

Good luck.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,931 Posts
sjjkennedy said:
This is a great offer. Don't be fooled into thinking the jet kit is the majority of the cost, if you haven't got access to someone like this and a dyno, there's going to be a fair labor cost associated with this upgrade.
The only cost in installing a Factory Pro jet kit is a few hours of your time. There is a full set of step by step instruction in the FAQ here. And it's possible to get it perfectly tuned without a dyno, you just have to work at it a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
This may well be true for you... I'm handy with a screw driver, but there's too many variable with this one to trust myself to do it :-\. As it was, the seasoned, trained mechanic that worked on it had the carb's out at least 3 times (not to mention making up the stainless washers that were missing and couldn't be ordered in time).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,200 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,677 Posts
cajones said:
ok you guys out there with all this combined knowledge, i have a standard 904 monster carb version 1999, i would like it to have a little more power with out breakin the bank any ideas , i have blue flame cans on it that all so basically bog standard, any ideas ? ;D
Also, if you'd like, you're totally welcome to call me and we can talk about the pros and cons of different mods, how much things cost, what your goals are, and come up with a plan. Basically, I like gearhead talk and BSing about our bikes.

Thanks guys!
Chris
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
am now pulling 84HP out of it (stock standard is about 72 for our years I think).
Are your horsies rear wheel or crank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
799 Posts
Scott R. Nelson said:
The only cost in installing a Factory Pro jet kit is a few hours of your time. There is a full set of step by step instruction in the FAQ here. And it's possible to get it perfectly tuned without a dyno, you just have to work at it a bit.
Yeah, there are supposed to be Factory Pro recommended settings and jets for bikes with similar mods (pipes/open airbox), but from my experience these settings are not always right. Like sjjkennedy said, there are way too many variables. I do, however agree that it is possible to do w/o a dyno. From several conversations I've had with one of the head guys up at Factory Pro, I've begun to agree that most dyno's that measure A/F ratio via exhaust gasses are not entirely accurate. Due to off-perfect timing that most bikes have, it is hard to tell if the bike is rich/lean. So I'm quite happy with doing plug checks.

Anyways, the recommended jets for my bike setup were 42.5 pilot and 142.5 main. This is assuming your emulsion tubes are new and your floats are perfectly set. Not always the case. Once I got my floats set right and my new emulsion tubes I realized that I needed a bigger main jet. I bumped it up to a 155 and have lately been considering trying a bigger one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
cajones said:
hey guys thanks for the input, i am gonna try the air filter and breather root first, i dont really want to do engine stuff, then maybe look at the 14 tooth sprocket too, any way cheers all, beers all round !!! [thumbsup]
Yep the cheapest mod you will feel. I run them both on my bikes. Also if you have a 525 chain convert it to a 520 go 14t front.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,931 Posts
cachee0 said:
Yep the cheapest mod you will feel. I run them both on my bikes. Also if you have a 525 chain convert it to a 520 go 14t front.
If you're going to change the chain and both sprockets anyway, I recommend going to a 15-tooth front and increase the size of the rear appropriately. It won't cost any more to do it that way and things will last a bit longer. I've had 14-tooth fronts on three Ducatis in the past, with no problems, but when I've replaced chain and sprockets, I've always gone bigger.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top