Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indianapolis Motor Speedway will likely host a round of the MotoGP World Championship in 2008, according to a number of sources, but it won’t replace the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Instead, for the first time ever, the U.S. will host two rounds of the championship.

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=10286

I'm not sure they'd run two here, but what do I know?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
No offense to anyone but Indy is a boring track, even with the infield. I know there's a lot of history associated with the track and I certainly mean no disrespect but let's get this race at Miller which is an awesome track.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
/threadjack

Is Miller that great? The local track provider with whom I do most of my riding is doing a coupla days there this year. I was gonna skip it cuz of the drive, but if it's a MUST RIDE track, I'll go for it.

<grumble, grumble> Speaking of 'must ride' tracks . . . was supposed to be at Laguna yesterday and today but work intruded. <grumble grumble grumble>

//end threadjack

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Spidey said:
/threadjack

Is Miller that great? The local track provider with whom I do most of my riding is doing a coupla days there this year. I was gonna skip it cuz of the drive, but if it's a MUST RIDE track, I'll go for it.

<grumble, grumble> Speaking of 'must ride' tracks . . . was supposed to be at Laguna yesterday and today but work intruded. <grumble grumble grumble>

//end threadjack
it was more or less built to host a GP. fantastic garages/pits, you can see the whole track from almost anywhere, picturesque, technical and fast, super fast first corner, built with GP-level safety in mind (and then they made the run-off in several corners even wider before last year's AMA event - at the request of the riders and a bunch of last minute dollars), lots of amenities, almost universally loved by the riders last year.

yeah, i think it's probably that good. :)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
^^^ What he said. ;)

Just from watching the AMA there last year I could tell it was an awesome track, fast, technical and really fun to watch. Personally I think it'd be higher on my list than Laguna and I *like* Laguna.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
only problem with Miller is it's in BFE Utah.. which is a consideration if you're trying to host a GP and need a big crowd.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
gm2 said:
a 2nd US event isn't too surprising. what is surprising is that Miller isn't at the top of the (supposed) list.
Yes and/or Barber. If I remember correctly, Barber was also built with MotoGP considerations and what with the motorcycle museum it surely should be on the list, IMO.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well, Barber will likely never host a GP. They were trying, and succeding, to bring them there before Laguna Seca was chosen. Then Mr. Barber and the city of Leeds got into a p*ssing contest over how much support Leeds was going to offer to help such a massive event run smoothly. Basically, Barber didn't have the resources for something like that. Leeds didn't want to throw as much in as was needed. Back and forth, back and forth, and finally Dorna said f**k 'em, we'll do Laguna. :mad:

The problem stemmed from the fact that there's basically nothing in Leeds. Not much in the way of food service, hotels, etc. The types of places that would benefit massively from an event of that scale. Right next door, though, is Birmingham, the assorted vendors and hotel owners of which would have made a mint. I could never understand Birmingham didn't step up and offer any aid that might be needed. :-\

Barber's not really suited to bikes as powerful as the 990's were. Hell, I would imagine the Superbikes rarely, if ever, get out of fourth gear. The 125's and 250's would be perfect for the track, though. :p

I can't imagine why they would choose Indy over Miller, though. The only thing against Miller is the lack of elevation changes. 8)

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Indy doesn't have any elevation changes, either, does it?

Spidey, yes, Miller is a must-ride track. However, I had a conversation with a guy today about how he got snowed out of a trackday at the end of April last year (i.e. I wouldn't recommend the mid-April one... imagine driving out there and gettign snowed out... you'd be wishing for the Buttonwillow hailstorm).

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Tigre said:
Indy doesn't have any elevation changes, either, does it?

Spidey, yes, Miller is a must-ride track. However, I had a conversation with a guy today about how he got snowed out of a trackday at the end of April last year (i.e. I wouldn't recommend the mid-April one... imagine driving out there and gettign snowed out... you'd be wishing for the Buttonwillow hailstorm).
Bring back memories of NHIS?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Heheh.

I never got snowed out. I remember riding up from Boston for a BCM trackday and getting snowed on during my trip to the track. By the time I got there it started warming up. I think it must have gotten into the 50s! People were walking around in shorts, tshirts and flip-slops. :)

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Tigre said:
Heheh.

I never got snowed out. I remember riding up from Boston for a BCM trackday and getting snowed on during my trip to the track. By the time I got there it started warming up. I think it must have gotten into the 50s! People were walking around in shorts, tshirts and flip-slops. :)
Ya gotta love New England weather...............................or not and move to Cali

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Here's a better option for the future than Indy, though it's not fully developed yet.

Thousand Suns Motorsports in East Tennessee
a 3.7 mile road course with a 4,400-foot backstretch. That's longer than the front stretch at Indianapolis.
http://www.thousandsunsmotorsports.com/

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I'm a Hoosier and I can't imagine why they would host a MotoGP event at IMS. Not only is the track boring, but if they were to use the F1 circuit, those bikes are going to be carrying a lot of speed onto the straight, right next to that wall. If someone gets out of sorts and, God forbid, highsides, they're going to get tossed into that wall and likely hurt quite badly.

·
Registered
702 Posts
jesse370 said:
What about the glenn?? That track has just a few elevation changes.
Huh? Have you been there or is that sarcasm? Compared to Indy, Fontucky, or Miller Watkins Glen (one n) is like the Alps. And yes, that would make Laguna Seca like the Himalayas or at least the Karakoram.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yes I have been to the glenn, I'm less then a hour from it...and I was just being sarcastic ;) I just love that track and I don't think it has gotten the respect it deserves in a long time.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I guess they're planning on running anti-clockwise on the F1 track. This would make the turn 1-2 transition from the banking to the infield sort of interesting, but Miller would be a much better track. Not sure the surrounding area would have enough nightlife for Rossi though >:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts