Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw an eBay auction for a 999 swingarm and it got me curious - has anyone tried putting a 999 swingarm on a Monster? Is it possible (at least without major modifications)?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I think the standard problem with mounting Superbike swingarms on Monsters is that the swingarm bearings are in the cases on the Monsters, and in the swingarms on the Superbikes.

Folks have put 916 SSS's on Monsters, Karen's Silver M750 as a prime example. Those folks will tell you it's not a bolt-on deal by any stretch. I think crankcase machining is one major step....

G

·
since i finally dismissed the idea of a single-sided-swingarm on my monster (why add weight to use a weaker part?), i've been thinking of different options. not that i have any money left to play with, but...
i considered the 999's swingarm because i think it would look pretty sharp on a naked bike. but you actually run into the same problems with that unit as you'd run into in putting a 718/9*6/998 swingarm on. the swingarm pivot on the 999 is narrower than on the monster. this means that you'd have to machine the cases down to accept the 999's. additionally, you'd have to get a custom rear cylinder header setup because with how the 999's rear header routes directly to the muffler, there's no hole in the swingarm for it to pass though (as on the monster). as for the rims, i _think_ you'd be fine using the stock monster's on an '02 bike (25mm axle). don't quote me on that one though... not totally sure if the width is exactly the same and if brake caliper location lines up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts