Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey guys,
I really appreciate the different perspectives.
I guess it all boils down to how much disposable cake one has, and where one will get the biggest bang for their buck. I'm thinking that for my riding capability and wallet a 999 Showa shock will be a huge improvement over the stock Sachs unit as well as the S2R1K Showa forks over the Marzocchi's....
So looks like I will have to re-spring the shock... I'm currently weighing in at 175lbs. So from what, I'm hearing it's going to be too soft. Will the original stock Sachs spring work..? Or am I better off with a new spring ...? Also how would he S2R1K springs perform with my weight class...?
Again these are being fitted to 695.
Thanks again guys...
Using the spring from your stock shock will be better than using the one that's on the shock from 999 but even me at 155lbs the stock spring was too soft. You can pick up a Ohlins or Ktech or hypercoil for like $1-130 brand new. With used parts especially parts from bikes at this age it's going to need to be rebuilt anyways and you might as well get it revolved. The bushings and oil really break down. Suspension maintenance is really overlooked vs engine oil. When you really think about it suspension is what keeps your tires in contact with the road.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm 6'0" 240# geared up, so the spring weight is off, but a helluva lot better than before.

Swift Tone,

I think you might be confusing Sachs with Showa. 99.9% of riders could not tell the difference between a well tuned/valved Showa and and Ohlins. If you want to spend the money rock on. The money I will save between a new set of Ohlins forks and shock and what I will spend on buying used stock Showa SBK forks & shock, plus the rebuild/revalve will allow me to buy a set of forged aluminum Carrozzeria wheels.

I know where my money is going.
You're right. I meant Sachs. Everyone has their preferences. I spent Way less than Carrozzeria wheels when its all said and done. That includes a used Ohlins DU8440, getting it rebuilt and resprung to my specs. Also includes rebuilding the front forks, respringing it. I already had RaceTech Gold Valves in the forks so it was just rearranged to my specs. The price also included remova/install labor of the forks and shocks. If you have a garage where you can leave the bike on stands you can easily saved $150.

Wheels do make a difference but I think suspension is a higher priority when it comes to performance and safety.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Get a hold of Race Tech and give them all the specs and they will get you the spring you need for about $115.00. Don't bother chasing used springs, who knows what rate they are after being ridden for who knows how long.

Tone,

I'm into my Showa's to the tune of $75.00 for the Shock, & $200.00 for the forks, so with Gold Valves I'll be into them for $350.00. So figure $450 out of pocket with the R/R relocate kit.

The cheapest used stock Ohlin's forks I've seen are in the $1200.00 range for used stock units, and used shocks are in the $500 range. So there's $1700.00.

Ohlin's or Showa's would have to be freshened up and re-sprung, so at worst that's a wash.

That's a $1250.00 difference anyway you slice it. That's a long way toward my wheels.

I agree about you're comment about the priority, hence the reason I'm addressing the chassis 1st.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Get a hold of Race Tech and give them all the specs and they will get you the spring you need for about $115.00. Don't bother chasing used springs, who knows what rate they are after being ridden for who knows how long.

Tone,

I'm into my Showa's to the tune of $75.00 for the Shock, & $200.00 for the forks, so with Gold Valves I'll be into them for $350.00. So figure $450 out of pocket with the R/R relocate kit.

The cheapest used stock Ohlin's forks I've seen are in the $1200.00 range for used stock units, and used shocks are in the $500 range. So there's $1700.00.

Ohlin's or Showa's would have to be freshened up and re-sprung, so at worst that's a wash.

That's a $1250.00 difference anyway you slice it. That's a long way toward my wheels.

I agree about you're comment about the priority, hence the reason I'm addressing the chassis 1st.
My whole setup including parts and labor for rebuild and revalve was $1100. That includes the Ohlins shock. I did not use Ohlins fork.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all

I would like to ask for the rear shock upgrade of 695.
Does the s4rs for on the bike? Is it better to go to the 999 shock or the s4r shows? Any other ideas?

Thanks

21 - 26 of 26 Posts