Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a write up on another forum and thought I would share here. This mod is easy, cheap, and makes a world of difference to the handling of an S2R1000. Sorry for the shitty cell phone pics.

The patient quietly waiting on the surgery table

First off find yourself a 999 shock. I found mine on eBay for $75.00 and had a friend that owns a shop rebuild it to make sure it was all good.

Next remove your seat and look at a bunch of crap you will be removing. The oil breather box has got to go.

As you can tell you will also need to find a place for the regulator/rectifier as it mounts to the breather box. So unbolt (don't disconnect it) and set it to the side. After you pull all of the stuff out this is what you should be seeing.

Now you are also going to have to cut the coil mount off of your frame as the reservoir on the shock will not allow the new shock to fit the area.

I just sanded and Kryloned the frame after as it is under the side pods and is not seen.

Next measure your frame width and length for a mounting plate for the regulator/rectifier & coil to be mounted onto. Then cut a piece of aluminum to fit.

And this is what mine looks like with the reg/rec mounted:

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You will need to make a notch so the coil fits nice:

And this is with it all mounted up:

Now that is all pretty and bolted up and your proud of your modding ability...pull it out and yank the stock shock out! Bolt at the top and a bolt at the bottom. Bike supported in the middle. Pull the shock out the top and slide the new one in and bolt it up. DO NOT FORGET TO TORQUE THE BOLTS!!!! Now put your new mount back on, adjust your suspension, and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This good? I can take more/better pics tomorrow if not.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe a little bit higher but not enough to really notice. What I did notice was the back end just plain feels more planted. Having more adjustability is definitely nice. Only bad part is that I can now tell how crappy the front is.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Ducati made a fix for that, "S" ;)

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S2R 1000's don't come in an "s" version.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Aw but maybe I was saying that Ducati created the S4RS to cure your woes.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmmm....valid point sir!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
On some random Saturday we should swap bikes for a ride out. You can tell me if you feel the Ohlins difference.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can you give me a measurement on the metal plate for mounting the coil and reg/Rec?

My bike is in storage and I'm having a shop cut the metal for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I can confirm this will work on the bikes with 2 sided swingarms as well. Did the swap on my 03 620. All I needed to do was move the rectifier with TPO's kit and it dropped right in.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you give me a measurement on the metal plate for mounting the coil and reg/Rec?

My bike is in storage and I'm having a shop cut the metal for me. Thanks.
Sorry about lagging on responding. Sadly I don't have the bike anymore so can't measure it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the reply.. This something I am thinking if doing with my 695.
Did you have to re-spring it.? Or did the stock spring Work for you..?
Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the reply.. This something I am thinking if doing with my 695.
Did you have to re-spring it.? Or did the stock spring Work for you..?
Thanks
Many of suggested that you do not respring the shock but when it gets down to it the geometry of the rear suspension between S2R/1000, 998 and 999 is vastly difference.

Take for example quoting Racetech using my weight (155lbs) on a S2R1000 it calls for 8.375 kg/mm spring. On 998 a 5.938 kg/mm. On a 999 a 6.938 kg/mm. As you can see using a 998 or 999 shock with it's respective stock spring its way too soft wen installed on S2R1000.

I just got my bike back from my suspension tuner. I upgraded to 998 DU8440 Ohlins shock and Racetech fork internals. On an Ohlins shock I had to respring but no revalve. I actually used a 10.19 kg/mm spring. The RaceTech recommendations are known to be too soft. The Ohlins shock had a wide enough range of vavling adjustment that I didn't need to revalve. From my understanding Showa shocks are not worth the upgrade and certainly not the rebuild/revalve.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I'm 6'0" 240# geared up, so the spring weight is off, but a helluva lot better than before.

The shock (or more precisely the damper) has no effect on the spring rate. Tell your tuner of choice what you're riding, the weight of the bike and your geared up weight and they will get it sorted. Compression and rebound valving is a different matter. You should let them know what damper you're running.

Swift Tone,

I think you might be confusing Sachs with Showa. 99.9% of riders could not tell the difference between a well tuned/valved Showa and and Ohlins. If you want to spend the money rock on. The money I will save between a new set of Ohlins forks and shock and what I will spend on buying used stock Showa SBK forks & shock, plus the rebuild/revalve will allow me to buy a set of forged aluminum Carrozzeria wheels.

I know where my money is going.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys,
I really appreciate the different perspectives.
I guess it all boils down to how much disposable cake one has, and where one will get the biggest bang for their buck. I'm thinking that for my riding capability and wallet a 999 Showa shock will be a huge improvement over the stock Sachs unit as well as the S2R1K Showa forks over the Marzocchi's....
So looks like I will have to re-spring the shock... I'm currently weighing in at 175lbs. So from what, I'm hearing it's going to be too soft. Will the original stock Sachs spring work..? Or am I better off with a new spring ...? Also how would he S2R1K springs perform with my weight class...?
Again these are being fitted to 695.
Thanks again guys...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts