Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Which bike is "better" styled?

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
DarkJedi said:
I still like the styling of the 999 better.
+1. I wasn't crazy abou the original design, but when they freshened the front in '05, deleting the vertical vents and widening the fairing with the taller windscreen, it really pulled it all together. Also, it has one of the best ass ends of any bike except maybe the MV F4.

New design is just a cop out.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Having not seen the 1098 in person, I'm hoping the pictures don't do it justice (i.e., I hope it looks better in person).

I dig the styling of the 999. I also love the styling of the 9*6/998 superbikes.

I don't think that some things are done well when you combine the two.

For instance: The dual exhausts look great on the 9*6/998 bikes because they have a very organic flow which goes well with the rest of the bike. On the 1098, the organic pipes (and swingarm for that matter) don't go well with the tail piece and some of the fairing pieces.

The front fairing looks nice, but is clearly a combination of a number of other bike on the market, as are the fairings, as is the tail section.

Looking at the bike from the top, it has that sexy flow to it, from the side, not so much.

One other think that I've never liked on the 999s and also on the 1098 is the frame that matches the body color (excluding the 1098 Tri-colore). I think the contrast helps a bit.

Just my $.02

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I like elements of both. I wish the 1098 had the rear cylinder head and subframe exposed like on the 999. I like the front of the 1098. It looks more modern than the 916 and really works well on the 1098 but doesn't hit me as much as the 916 did when it came out. Although if they copied the 916 front on the 1098 it would look dated to me. I never thought the 999 was ugly when it came out and I liked it even better when they changed the bodywork and gave it the stamped swingarm. It reminds me of a cat with its ears folded back, ready to pounce. But the 1098 still moves me more than the 999. I have a 1098 on order and if the 999 market drops low enough I may pick up one of those too. I could always use one for a track bike or strip it down and turn it into a 999 Monster with a gas tank that doesn't have the capacity of a glass of orange juice at IHOP.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I also agree with having the engine exposed. It's such a work of art in of itself. I just wish they would have made the belt covers out of CF as a standard item to be a little more aesthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The 999, hands down. Ducati caught flak for trying to be innovative, and now, seeing how derrivative the 1098 is, its clear they were heading in the right direction. They may have not gotten the 999 totally right, but if they had stuck with the theme they started with, I bet they could have had one nice bike in the 1098. Instead, they have a totally uninspired design.

Its funny how a few bits of plastic can determin one's appreciation for abike. Really, that plastic is the least least important part of the bike. If you take the skin of the 999, it looks amazing. Its lean and sinewy, and the bird's eye view is the business. Its so much more organic than the 1098. Slap on some race skins on a 999 and its completely transformed. They missed it the first time out by this much; a little more tweeking and you would have had a fantastic, origonal bike. The Radical Ducati body kit is a good example of how the 999 could have worked without trying to resurrect a nearly 10 year old design.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
It's better to see them side by side:

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
ducatania said:
New design is just a cop out.
...and I thought I was the only one who felt that way [thumbsup]

the 1098 still hasn't grown on me

·
Registered
117 Posts
I prefer the 1098 because it has the look of an updated 916 which is the bike that started me on Ducati. I just never warmed up to the 999 styling especially the projector headlight look. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
781 Posts
999. IMO, and a few others I guess, they should have evolved the 999. They had a unique and good looking design. Now it looks like they're jumping back on the 916 bandwagon, after a few others have already done. The 1098 blends right in with the Japanese designs. I haven't seen it in the flesh yet, but the pics don't do it for me.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
The only styling point of the 1098 I don't really care for is the swing arm. The fact that the 999 shows off the rear cylinder head is nice also. I wonder how necessary that plastic panel under the rear of the gas tank on the 1098 really is. Other than that I think the 1098 rocks in all ways. If I could get a 999 at the right price though, well......... that would be a different story.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 999 was unique and special. The 1098 is just a rehash, another update ala Corvette. I expect Ducatis to be special, the 1098 is not. But the best bit is fuel capacity. When my 999R left me on the side of the road with 118 miles on the trip, I bought the 749R tank with 4.9 gal capacity. The 1098 has the same 4.1 gal capacity and since there is no supersport bike on the horizon requiring omologation of a larger tank like the 749R you 1098 guys are going to be waiting on AAA alot. I, like I would imagine most superbike riders, spend my time on back country roads. The small tank is just a PITA. I dumped the MH900e when it's 2.2 gal tank left me standing with 88 miles. Frankly, my next bike will be the MV F4R. Ducati has lost their balls and after 5 bikes ('99 996, '01 MS4, '02 MH900e, '03 999R, '07? MS4Rs) and $100K+ at my dealer, lost me as a customer.

Oh and hi, nice web site.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I never cared for the 999 and thought that they should have evolved the 916. The 1098 is an attempt to continue the 916 look, but a poor one that appears to owe more to the R1 or CBR than the 916 itself. Why did they have to make the front end so typically Japanese looking? If the front end weren't so pointy and the light housings weren't angled the way they are, it would look more like an updated 916 and less like an R1 or CBR. So much for Ducati distinguishing itself from its lower-priced rivals. Ducati's if-you-can't-beat-'em-join-'em styling of the 1098 is an admission of defeat to the Japanese big four.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Regardless of styling every review i have read points to this bike being the best ducati ever made.

This was a point made of the then hated GD bug eyed subaru look...."you don't see what it looks like when you are in it"

It is lighter, handles better, makes more power, has better brakes and has the incredible dash setup.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I was in love with the 999 when the first press photos were released. Most everyone else said that it grew on them but I was a fan from the beginning. I still like it better than the 916 series, and the 1098. I used to own a 996 and it was nice but I always wanted a 999. When I showed my 10 yr old son the 1098 he said, "big deal, it looks just like your old one. Does it have a new motor or something?" [laugh] So, it's obvious to even a kid that the new design is not so new! (we're talking purely styling here, not performance).

1 - 20 of 145 Posts