Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading another thread and saw mention of a 998 sidestand conversion.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
benefits are the SBK stand looks nicer and is lighter. no cons that i can think of.
note that my earlier comment about it being a straight swap is NOT correct. you'd need to take the actual stand off the bracket along with the springs and install them on the monster's mounting bracket. as pointed out in the other thread, using the SBK assembly as is will result in the stand interfering with your exhaust header. i didn't realize this before because i didn't have any exhaust on the bike at the time.
btw... being the "supra-genius" that i am, i immediately sold my monster's kickstand assembly to recoup some $$$ so now i'm in need of a monster's mounting hardware. anybody got one laying around for sale? (yep... i'm a bone-head!)

EDIT!
forgot to mention another benefit is that the SBK stand tucks up a bit higher so you don't drag it when leaning WAY over in left-handers.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh, so it's a longer stand. Okay, that's enough reason not to do it. Beyond the fact that I don't have an S4.

Personally, I'd like a slightly shorter stand to get a little more lean.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Mike,

Just to clarify, the extra lean you're talking about is when the bike is parked? I put a SBK sidestand on my M900 and it's just fine when parked. In addition, I've got a little more lean angle when riding. Not to mention it saved a bit of weight and, arguably, looks better (although the one I have could use some cleaning up).

Mark

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a stupid question. Is the 748 sidestand the same as the 998 sidestand? I assume all superbike sidestands are the same.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep.
748/998/996/916 are all pretty much interchangabe. i think the 916 may've had a different length recoil spring but that's no major effect.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your help strati. it looks like i found a guy in fla with a 748 side stand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts