Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will 996 forks fit on my 2000 900 Monster? I assume they are the same length and diameter. Is the springing/valving vastly different (there's a 10-13kg weight difference) and can they be adjusted to suit? Has anyone tried this mod? Were there any problems or improvements to be had?

R

·
0 Posts
SBK forks will fit with a DTC-6 triple from cycle cat..the kit comes with shims for the bottom triple....and you would also need 53mm
clip ons...if you have the stock headlight assembly, the clip ons may have to go on top of the triple...my understanding is cycle cat is in the process of making some risers to deal with that...
I am putting a pair on today...I was going to look at the internals, but I just want to ride. Over my stock non adjustable forks I expect some improvements.....

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have helped a lot of people put SBK forks on their 900ss or Monster and never heard anyone complain about the spring rate. My guess is that the stock spring rate on the SBKs tends to be on the soft side. I am running both SBK forks and Ohlins SBK shock with standard weight springs on my 908SSP which weights around 360lb. Yes I weighted it. Even thou Ducati put 43mm forks on the later bikes they kept the old upper tube dimensions from the 41mm tubes.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I have helped a lot of people put SBK forks on their 900ss or Monster and never heard anyone complain about the spring rate.
James is talking about reducing the spring rate on his.
of course his bike is 347lbs, and he's a little skinny fooker.

R

·
0 Posts
my original config. was race teched stock non adj. forks and an Ohlins in da rear.......after a few rides with the SBK's, yes there are improvements, although subtle....I have to say the bike finally feels balanced between front and rear......

S

·
0 Posts
another option if the c'cat bits are too pricey for your wallet is to shim the bottom yoke (which you need to do anyways) from 54 -> 53mm and bore the top yoke from 50 -> 53mm. some will say this is risky as you're not left with as much meat around the fork for the top yoke. others will say they've done exactly this and have had fine results.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I've got SBK forks on my M750. Pretty good balance with the Ohlins on the rear, I think I still need to work with the damping a bit, and possibly fork elevation in the clamps, but the spring rate feels like it's pretty close (I may just let Race Tech take a shot at them). The ride is a big improvement over the OEM non-adj `zokes, which were considerably undersprung and under-damped for my weight.

--Fillmore

M

·
0 Posts
I've had SBK forks on my m900 for about 4 years now. The fork does not feel overly stiff at all. The bike handles much better.

I originally used a bored out OEM triple because the Cycle Cat piece was not available. When the DTC6 became available I switched over because I never felt comfortable with the thin walls. I'm glad I switched over, I've had a couple customers tell me that they found cracks in their top triples.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've just had my forks re-sprung and gold valved and the rear shock re-valved etc. I kept the stock rear spring as I'm a 70kg weakling.

I took it for a ride and thought it was worse to be honest but the bloke doing the work (an A grade racer) took it for a ride and suggested lowering the forks in the clamps. I thought this would slow down the steering too much but he was spot on and it handles heaps better and is more stable as well. He did suggest a steering damper and as much as I have avoided them I think he's right and it should be the final nail. I also added Pirelli Diablo tyres. The bike is much more stable and is even better to ride in a straight line responding much better to throttle input.

Any thoughts on steering dampers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts