Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was looking for motorcycles today and seem a 99 m900 it had a red fuel tank and gold frame, the gauge did not have a tachometer, adjustable forks and carbon fiber front fender. Can anyone tell me is that is the "s" model or city model basically I am curious what model it is and what are the problems for the 1999 year. The price is four thousand what do you think.

Thank You & Happy New Year
Damon

·
Registered
702 Posts
It is not a City model. They came with a metallic blue tank and front fender for starters. There were also taller bar pedestals and different bend, a tallish windscreen, detachable side bags, and "comfort" seat. I don't remember if there was a "S" model that year or if the standard had adjustable suspension.

Edit: no Monsters came with tachometers back then as standard.

Edit edit: $4000 seems ok as long as the bike is exceptionally clean and service records are available.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have a '99 M900. That one is set up like mine except for the CF fender.

The problem I've found with the '99 Monster is a tendency to ride too fast.

Doc

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I've got a red 99' M900s and it's outfitted a bit different. Mine has a black metalic frame as far as carbon it came with carbon front fender/rear hugger, side panels, and clutch cover. No tach standard although I added a DP kit. Also came with adjustable forks. I think you should be able to tell the difference between standard and "s" version as the "s" has an aluminum swingarm, adjustable rear shock, floating rear caliper and full floating front roters. Also the "s" had the V2 heads w/ bigger valves (should be stamped on the side). As far as problems I've got ~24k miles on mine with no issues so far. Depending on mileage it may need to have the emulsion tubes in the carbs replaced (pretty easy job) or better yet throw on a set of 41 FCR's like a few of us have done >:D

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I have a similar if not identical bike:

1999 M900. $4000 is a good deal depending on miles.

My bike is red with a dark gold colored frame. No tachs came on this generation bike but there is a Ducati Performance tachometer that can be added. If you get this bike and choose that route, word on the street is you don't want the led-digi tach. You would want to get an analog tach and housing.

The carbon fiber front fender is aftermarket, congrats.

The adjustable suspension usually denotes an "S" model, However my bike is not an "S" model, and came from the factory with an adjustable fork. My non-S also came with an aluminum swingarm - to check if yours is or not, do the magnet test.

If the carbs have not gone through a jet kit, I would reccomend it, it makes a difference. However, you might as well hold off on doing this until you pick out some nice pipes and figure out what you are going to do about the airbox - open/cut/stock.

Feel free to PM me for more info on the ol' 99 Carb'd 900. Its a fantastic bike, I have had no mechanical problems, and I feel like my Honda owning friends are frustrated about that.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I don't recall a "big" Monster ever NOT having an aluminum swingarm. Maybe I've not paid any attention over the years, but I thought the only steel swingers were on the smaller ones.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Except that it does not give definitive info, either. To wit:

quote "According to the Haynes manual, M750s and M900s after VIN009915 have Marzocchi forks, but I think this isn't 100% correct. Note that many of this site's readers have written in with response saying they've got aluminum swingarms. Kinda like my "Pongo!", a 1997 non-S M900 with an aluminum swinger and Showa forks."

or

quote "The 2000 model M900S gets a newly designed aluminum rear swingarm, adjustable forks, Ohlins shock, and full floating cast iron brake rotors. The new aluminum swingarm is without some of the bracing as previous model aluminum swingarms. I suspect that the supply of 851/888 "proper" aluminum swingarms has finally dried up."

Just more guessing like is being done here. Personally, I have never seen an M900 with a steel swingarm. If there is anyone here with a M900 with its original steel swingarm, I'd like to hear from them.

·
Registered
702 Posts
ATO Memphis said:
word on the street is you don't want the led-digi tach.
Agreed, I have the L.E.D. tachometer and it does flake out occasionally. Sometimes at startup, the self check of the L.E.D.s results in them all stuck on. Shut off the ignition and restart and all is normal. Other times, I'll have a miss at high revs or load and the tach will jump all over the place (it is in series with one coil). I disconnected the tach and went for a ride and the miss is gone. Reconnect = miss, disconnect = no miss. It is a still a rare occurrence but annoying just the same.

Even without the problem I would not have bought it (already installed when I got the bike) as it doesn't give very much info as far as actual revs. There is only one L.E.D. every 500 RPM so there is a light show of bouncing L.E.D.s when between each (e.g. 3251 rpm equals 3500 light but 3249 rpm equals 3000).

·
Registered
928 Posts
The "S" version also came with an Ohlins Steering Damper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.