Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I going to look at a 98 monster 900 this weekend and I found out that some of the early 98's had smaller valves than the later 98 models.

Is there an easy way to tell if the engine has the bigger valves or not. A stamp on the head casting perhaps. Or after a certain build date.

Does it even matter? It already has Pipes, Jet Kit and airbox mod and If I get it I wont be doing anything alse to it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
From what i've heard, it's worth it to get the big valves.

Chris at California Cycleworks (a sponsor here) knows about this, and may have a way of determining from a head stamp or such, as you suspect.

Might want to give him a shout...

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
All 1997 M900's had the smaller valves. You actually get more midrange power that way than with the bigger valves. It also seems to make the engine a little bit smoother at low rpms.

Just ride it. If you like how it runs, who cares if the valves are a few millimeters smaller than on some other bikes?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts

Does it even matter? It already has Pipes, Jet Kit and airbox mod and If I get it I wont be doing anything alse to it.

Thanks.
;D
That's what I said when I bought my 98 M900 last July...
now there's an evo slave cyl., new tires, sargent seat, 14t sprocket. and you should see the wish list... See my sig for the mods.
Buy it, Ride it, you'll like it. big or small valves

BTW, the 98 does have a really great fork and decent rear shock.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Chris K told me (Feel Free to Jump in Chris) that some 900's came out with 750 heads.

The true 900 Head has "V2" stamped on it.

I can't remember what was stamped on the 750 heads! :-/

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, Thats exactly the information that I was after. I just wanted to be more educated on what i was looking at.

If I liked it I would probably buy it Big valves or not.

Malcolm

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I went through this with my '99.

The small valves are well known. What most people don't know is that the swap was a full 750 top-end; heads, valves and cams.

I'm not certain about the "V2" being sufficient to tell the difference. Bruce at BCM told me to look at the letters on the end of the cam journal. I phoned him and he told me my cam was a 900 cam. Unfortunately, I don't know the codes. That might be a good public service... if I could get a whole list and post it.

So you could pull the cover and look at the cam journal and phone BCM as I did if you really want to know.

As I understand it, the '98 should be small valve unless it's an "S" model in which case it should be big valved. But I've been cautioned many times never to assume consistency in Ducati builds!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts