Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '98 M900 for about two years now, and it seems to have a penchant for a drooling battery. When I bought the bike, it had acid damage on the sidecover from a previous incident. I put a new battery into it shortly after purchasing, because the battery in the bike when I bought it wouldn't hold a charge. New battery wouldn't charge while riding, so I did some troubleshooting and found that the regulator was bad (not so surprising, the stock Ducati regulators from this era seem to be "not so robust"). I replaced the stock regulator with an Electrosport type (from CA cycleworks) That corrected the charging issue.

But, since then, I notice that when I get done riding for anything but a very short ride, when I stop, the battery discharge tube is dripping fluid (i.e. acid). I have to regularly fill the battery with additional water. I replaced the battery (#3 for me) just in case I had a crappy battery. No difference; battery is always spitting fluid at idle, while riding, stopped and hot (the left edge of my rear tire is all ugly, from riding on battery fluid all the time).

The electrex/electrosport regulators are supposed to be darn near bulletproof, and mine seems to be working fine -- voltage with bike off is about 13V, at idle a bit higher, and at high revs about 14V. To me, that's a working regulator.

The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps the battery is venting because it is just too darned hot? Maybe more of a thermal problem than a charging problem? It's right near the vertical cylinder (over the intake, but a finger's width away from the valve inspection covers). I don't know if there is supposed to be some sort of heat shield to protect the battery? I made one out of a foil pan to get me from W. Virginia back home to Detroit a week ago :) That seemed to have helped a bit (discharge tube wasn't dripping at refuel stops), so maybe that's thinking in the right direction?

Oh, yes, probably obvious but all three batteries that I've dealt with in this bike are wet-type with fill ports and caps. I'd love to go to an AGM type battery, but don't want to spend that sort of money if my bike is just going to eat it up :-(

Is there supposed to be some sort of deflector/shield to protect the battery from the engine heat? Maybe a PO removed it from my bike? I'm thinking about making one from neoprene faced with heavy aluminum foil and just wrapping that under and up the front of the battery to improve upon my foil pan shield.

Has anyone else dealt with a situation like this, where the battery is just constantly drooling fluid? Ideas for other things for me to check?

-tom
1998 Monster 900
1992 BMW R100R

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this point, I've installed a silicone rubber vent tube, so there's more possibility of it leaking onto my frame/motor. More importantly, there are NO direct-size replacements for the YB16ALA2 battery for the 1998 M900. Do you, offhand, know of a size that's close that fits into the battery holder for the 1998 M900?

-tom

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
That site I gave you list several different brands and shows the amp rating and all the dimentions, as well as the + - orientation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts