Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

97 monster 750 run on 1 cylinder

717 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  ronski 
#1 ·
Recently bought 1997 monster 750 and felt something was not right. Sure enough when changing spark plugs found the front cylinder was getting no spark. It seems not to be coil. Where should I go from there?

#2 ·
First, I am amazed you didn't notice it was only running on one cylinder when you bought it. :whistle:
If your sure that the coil is working, sometimes simply swapping them over and still no spark on front, is one method.
I assume the leads check out as well.

The next place to look would be the pickups inside the alternator cover. The non EFI. carb models have two adjustable ignition pickups here. they were known to fail on occasion, mainly due to bad/worn soldering etc. look for the wires coming out at the front of cover, these can be tested with volt meter etc. Just look up how and what readings on google. I can't remember the readings. If faulty, and it was usually the front that went first, replace both by removing alt cover, make note of which goes where so as not to mix up the wires. The adjustment was for ignition timing, so try to mark the position as well.

#3 ·
I am in the process I'm trying to remove the left side cover which I believe is where that is at. I've never owned a Ducati before and was wondering what all the hype was about but believe it or not the bike ran reasonably well old size or smaller. I will let everybody know what happened to find. Thank you very much , John R

#4 ·
I am in the process I'm trying to remove the left side cover which I believe is where that is at. I've never owned a Ducati before and was wondering what all the hype was about but believe it or not the bike ran reasonably well old size or smaller. I will let everybody know what happened to find. Thank you very much , John R
I appreciate everybody's advice so far. I really feel kind of stupid. After taking the side cover off and doing all the necessary tests always good. In the process of tracking the wires down I realized one of these TBI unit is missing I did not realize going to be two wires were just figured it was like that on all monsters. So ordered 2 upgraded units from Denmark. Can not wait to see what the bike is like with both cylinders... lol can not believe outran a couple bikes red light racing 😜

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.