Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this morning got stuck in stop and go. bike upshifted fine but wouldn't downshift and so was stuck in like 3-4th gear....no play in gear shift lever to "make" it downshift. stopped several times in parking lots and rolled bike back and forth, pumped clutch, worked gear shift up and down....was able to get back to neutral and run up the gears but not back down....

thanks....

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
How did you get back to neutral? Is the outside linkage or pedal hitting anything, kickstand, etc.?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you get back to neutral? Is the outside linkage or pedal hitting anything, kickstand, etc.?

pumping the clutch, running the shift lever up through the gears and then down again.....and trying to find neutral....my light does work.....and then i'd find neutral and i was able to start out again in 1st, run the gears up but not down....weird, huh....and no i'm not hitting the kickstand or anything else...thanks...doug

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Look under the left side cover where the linkage arm indexes the shift drum. It is worn or out of adjustment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look under the left side cover where the linkage arm indexes the shift drum. It is worn or out of adjustment.

ducpainter, could the linkage arm be out of adjustment? i don't have a shop manual yet so don't know the proper alignment of the arm. thanks.....

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
norcal 900 said:

ducpainter, could the linkage arm be out of adjustment? i don't have a shop manual yet so don't know the proper alignment of the arm. thanks.....
Yes it could. There were some pics around the board somewhere, but I think they got lost in the server swap. You can get an idea if that might be the problem by putting the bike in gear and checking to see if the shift lever moves the same amount in both directions without actually changing gears.

Cliff notes version.... Pull the side cover. You need to make a tool to pull it. The tool amounts to a plate with three holes in it and a piece of threaded rod. There might be some info in the FAQ, or if no one else chimes in I can give you a more detailed explanation.

At the back of the case(rh end) you will see the shift arm and the drum. The drum has pins that the pawls or hooks on the arm engage. The pawls should be centered on the pin when the bike is in neutral, or any gear for that matter.

HTH. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts