Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a M900 and it has a tank leak that appears to be coming from the hinge plate on the bottom of the tank, it could also be some of the seams. Is this fixable? Should it be pressure tested and then welded or maybe just coated with something from inside to seal it?

S

·
0 Posts
I would suggest removal of the tank from the bike which would allow a closer inspection of the leakage area.
The best solution would be to weld the tank up, but obviously this would also entail re-painting the tank, which you may not find to be the most cost effective solution.
There are fluids one can buy to seal the inside of tanks, which may do the trick. Don't know of the brand names in your neck-of-the-woods, however...
I wouldn't advise pressure testing the tank for fear of distorting the shape :eek:which may be an expensive one to solve.

Maybe NORM can advise, being an expert in this area ?!

...Simon

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Hey, don't call me an expert, I'm just a guy in his garage doing the best I can.
You can probably get away with treating the inside with POR-15 & stop the leak, but that hinge area will give you trouble in the future. I'd take it off, clean it, have someone braze or weld the hinge area, & then treat the inside with POR-15. Have whoever does the welding/brazing put a wet towel over the visable painted areas on the tank & you shouldn't have any problem with having to repaint. Make sure you get the motorcycle tank kit from the POR people & follow the instructions EXACTLY. You will end up with a tank that is better than it was new & have less than $100 invested it it.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
same thing happened to me. had it welded and all is good. no need for new paint as it was on the tank's underside.

T

·
0 Posts
Do a search, you should find more info.

Also, I strongly recommend doing some google searches on the POR-15 and like products. A lot of people have had problems a few years down the road after using said products.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info..I will talk to a friend who is a good welder and see if he's can help. I'm not 100% sure about how to find all the leaks if pressure testing is not recommended, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
It's pretty common to have a leaky hinge & really rare to have a leaky seam, so I doubt if you have a seam leak. As for problems down the road, the product you are thinking of is Kreeme, it is a peice of **** that no one should use. I've never heard of any problems with POR-15 (which is why I use it!). Remember, follow the instructions EXACTLY.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts