Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Im having a problem with my bike not starting. Im going to try my best to narrow down what the problem could be because it could almost be anything. Im guessing my carburettor is flooded.

When i try to start the bike now i can hear a deep base sound pumping. Im assuming thats the fuel pump.

It was all working fine till i bought a new fuel sensor from a ducati dealer (the wiring on my existing was broken and wasn't connected). After installation the new sensor wont work which sucks because i cant even return it. While i was at it i bought new fuel lines. i had my reserve fuel outlet and main fuel line connect into a Y pipe which then connected to the fuel filter and so on. I was told that i could block off the reserve outlet and just have one fuel hose (much neater now, not as many hose clamps)

I was getting pretty annoyed with putting fuel in and out of the tank so i only put in 2 litres this time.

Im thinking that either:
- The fuel could be stale from being moved to and from the tank and fuel can.
- There isnt enough fuel for the bike to start (i hope this is the one)
- The carbi is flooded from trying to start

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
look at your plugs , usually it has something to do with the spark and make sure your not going in through the outdoor with your fuel lines .

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Try running from another fuel source, like a fuel bottle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
look at your plugs , usually it has something to do with the spark and make sure your not going in through the outdoor with your fuel lines .
Definately want to check my spark plugs
What do you mean by making sure im not going in through the outdoor?
Sorry, aussies use different lingo. Still luv dukes though
Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I drained the tank, emptied the float chambers on both carbies & put in 4L of fresh fuel. Still no start.
Then I decided to check my spark plugs. According to the haynes manual they are carbon fouling. Completely covered in carbon. This means i have misfire & a weak spark. Caused by an over-rich fuel/air mixture, faulty choke operation or blocked air filter. I know my air filter is good & this is the first time I've checked my spark plugs in a year so my next step is to try some new ones.
Question is which ones are best for an m600 96 model? After some reasearch it seems the champion ra6hc are best. My existing are ngk dpr8ea, which are for higher temperatures. Can anyone shed any light on this issue?
Thanks for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts