Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...this is my first post...At the beginning of last spring I took some advise off this website and now I'm hoping for some more. I bought a jap sport bike to build up some experience before buying a monster, I am now confident enough to move up. Yesterday I looked at a 96 m900, they are asking 7500 Canadian dollars and it's got 42,000kms. It's not at a ducati dealer but I talked to the ducati dealer about it and he said he knows the bike...He said the first owner took good care of it but this last owner was not as serious about proper maintenance. He also said it was dropped and kind of slapped back together. Looking at the bike the engine covers aren't damaged...no tank dents-only few rock chips and small scratch, the things I found questionable were some minor looking gouges on the top side of the swingarm [left side],upper front fender mounting holes cracked but seem secure, some ugly atermarket signal lights and headlight fairing as well as a missing kick stand bolt and some sort of leak at the gas tank hose fitting. The bike has been sitting since last spring so they had a bit of trouble getting it started...sounded fine to my untrained ear. The ducati dealer thinks I should stay away from this bike and consider buying a bike he's having brought in...a 2001 m900ie with only 5,000kms. My position is with the 4-5 thousand I would save gambling on the 96 I should be able to invest some down the road making any necessary repairs/improvements. Any other perspectives would be appreicated.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You should consider passing on the bike unless they're willing to come down off the price by say 1500 or so. 7500 Canadian for that year and mileage is not out of line for a machine in very good to excellent condition being sold by a dealer. Private party sale shoud be less and the bike you describe should be a lot less. You'll be spending some cash getting it back on the road.

Also, don't cave in to what the dealer has coming in on trade. It may or may not be a good deal. Remember, time is on your side for finding a bike. Afterall, we live in the Great White North. :D

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I agree. Too high a price for the condition of that bike.

I do think you are looking at the best group of Monsters, though (95-99 M900s). I do my own work, so I have a slight preference for the carbed bikes over FI. The 2V motors are easy to work on, reliable, and classic designs. I love my 95 M900 (even though I've spent quite a few hundred $ in normal wear items that just happen to wear out usually between 12K and 15K miles - like tires, chain & sprockets, clutch stuff, cam belts, brake pads, and so on).

You are on the right track. Just be patient and you will save enough money to be able to afford the non-essential items you find the bike "must" have.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Personally, I'd never take the advice of a dealer. Of course, he's going to suggest buying a bike from his inventory ... so he can get his cut.

I don't know the exchange rate, so can't comment on price. Don't necessarily be put off by a drop. We all (mostly) drop our bikes by accident. The damage is generally cosmetic and easily fixed.

More worrisome is the service. Can the owner provide service records? For reference, I bought a stock 94 M900 with 4,000 miles that had been parking lot dropped (i.e., tank ding) for $4000 U.S.
Dion

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I don't like the way you describe the '96 either.

I like carbed bikes myself. The '99 is the best Monster ever ;D in my completely unbiased opinion ;)

Still, the '01 Sie is a fine bike and will realistically put down almost 10 ponies more than the carby. I think you should be able to get that dealer bike for $7US. What's that? $10.5CD?

Unless Ducati prices are higher up there, I don't think you need $4-5k more for the newer, lower mile, undropped Sie.
I'd work on the dealer to get a price you can live with.

One other thing, the dealer is "bringing the bike in?" Does that mean he'll be unfamiliar with its history?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Well cared for pre-99's are a good bet. The question about this one is how well maintained was it. Sounds a little scarey to me. I'd stear clear. There are too many really nice used Ducati's out there to consider one that was not cared for and/or is questionable. Repair parts and labor on these things are pretty steep so if it's a fixer upper, you'll be spending some $ after the sale. If you're mechanically inclined and enjoy doing the work yourself, then it might be a good project bike. If the maintenance angle doesn't appeal to you, pass on it and look for one in better shape.

Dealer bikes aren't necessarily safe bets either. You might aske them if they'll give you a warranty of some sort against any catastrophic events on the newer one and see what they say. Usually dealers charge significantly more than you will pay a private seller.

G

·
Too much, be patient I bought my 96 900 for 2800. It had 14,000 miles and a few extras including a dented tank with a spare dented tank. The bike is awsome even though the guy said it lived most of its life at the big end of the tach.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your thoughts...the more I think about it the more I think I should take the advise to just be paitent and keep looking. I'm not against the 01 fuel injected but I don't think the guy will come down much from 11.5. I may still offer the guy $5500 Canadian on the 96 which I think is around 3500 US. But that's only if it's got some maintenance records to prove it wasn't neglected. I do wish there were more 900's on the market up here but there just isn't. I will keep watching this post and the others for more great advise! Thanks all

G

·
Where are you located? I'm in Calgary, and the Monster market is pretty thin here. People don't tend to sell them, so unless you want new your selection is pretty weak. The 96 doesn't sound like a good buy - I'd stay away. The 2001 sounds ok but the price is too high - you can get a brand new 800 for that, which has the same power (although some slightly downgraded suspension components).

I'd keep looking - if you're patient, you'll eventually find what you're looking for. Depending on where you are in Canada, you may have to expand your search to other cities, and possibly even the US. With the dollar up, you may be able to get a good deal on a bike down there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live just south of Calgary Alberta near Okotoks/Highriver area. Does anyone know the deal with buying a bike from the States? I have been checking this website and various others like cycle trader and buy sell...cycle trader seems to have a lot but all in the US. You are all right... time is on my side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts