Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rideon IM'ed me a question about S4 big-bore kits. Thought I'd use it to start a thread:

Tom:

Specifically, did your cam installation decrease low RPM torque substantially? Can you pull to 10.5 K strongly as the BHP chart suggests? ( I am petering out at 9k currently)

You mentioned a "955 kit" with high compression pistons.

S

·
0 Posts
i've also given a lot of thought to the 955 hi-comp option. i was looking mostly at the foxperformanceengines kit since the labor involved seems like something i could tackle for a winter project (history repeats itself?!). but my budget's totally shot for the s4 for the immediate future (except maybe to pickup your old ECU tom... i "IM'd" you on another board but will do so on this one) so the 955 kit is now the "dream" mod.

another option i was considering is to wait a year or two and then see if i could shoe-horn a 998 motor into the s4. many more ponies straight away, but there's a whole lotta accompanying mods to worry about, IF it fits under the gastank.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Tom:

The BHP chart I am referring to is in the S4 accessories catalogue, which came out end of 01,where you can compare the stock, 1/2 system, full system, and full system with SPcam BHPand torque curves. These figures are allegedly rear wheel horsepower. They appear to be about 8bhp optimistic compared to my personal experiance.

The graphical representation appears sound, with the flat spot at 7K somewhat represented.

Thanks for the comments on the bore/ piston mod! Based on your comments, it would seem better to go for a S4R for the cubes, Or maybe Strati's route of dropping a 998 engine in. I wonder if they fit? Balz mentioned that it would, that the single sided swingarm casting does not compete with the S4 frame. Hmmmmm.....

Regards,
Rideon
P.S. will be at mother's around 9:15 AM sunday.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The easiest, and ultimately cheapest, way to more HP (and more cc's) would dictate buying the S4R. I don't think a SBK 996 nor a 998 engine would fit in the S4 frame; witness the special heads in the S4/ST4s (of course, I could be wrong). Much better, IMO, to Monster a SBK, like CycleCat, and others have done. However, I do think you could pop a ST4s 996 engine in (which is what the S4R has in it, btw) with little grief, and perhaps even use most of the S4 wiring harness.

Still, what's the point? Like Scott said, probably $3500 plus for the motor and related accessories. Putting that kind of dough into an S4 motor, I would think, gives you comparable, maybe better, power. I think if you found a semi-wrecked ST4s and Monstered it, well, that would be the only way to do it without spending too much money or Stratizing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts