Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a new dry battery. when i installed it and didn't notice the very small wrench lying across the coils and hit the positive terminal. sparks flew, heard a pop fuse. check everything out, tried to crank it then blew the 30A charging fuse. started again today replaced all the fuses and noticed a few things that seemed wrong. turn signals lit up but didn't flash. all the other lights work perfect. the ignition fuse blew as soon as i tried to start. didn't even crank over. but when i went to look through my Haynes the fuse lay out on my bike cover is different than what it's calling for.
my bike says Haynes
master/main 30A----------------30A
ignition 7.5A---------------------15A
hi-low beam 15A----------------15A
tail light, turns 7.5A-------------7.5A
stop, horn 7.5A------------------7.5A
could there be a chance that the PO put the wrong fuse cover on? cause the the one i have showing that it belongs on a 98-99 m900, or could it be a typo in the Haynes.also is there a chance i blew a relay?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay went a head and swapped out the lower ignition fuse to the 15A. all my accessories work now. but still no start or turn over. since i bought the new battery i started looking at the post. it has opposite post:mad: . now i'm hanging my head low cause cause i don't know or can't see what i blew up because of this.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've pulled all the connectors apart and still haven't found any melted or damaged ones. what parts could show no outside damage but would keep the bike from cranking? regulator? starter relay? start/kill switch? alternator? starter?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just dug up a thread and it mentioned jumping the starter replay. did it and started cranking. relief! but i don't know if that means the starter relays bad or the switch. but i'm just happy hearing that clutch rattle. any ideas are welcome. thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nice job !

I would go for that relay, I've read a few threads talking about that issue. Since you've got some results I'd continue digging that way...

If it ends up in a dead end... Maybe the solenoid, read that can be the culprit also...

In any case; good luck and keep us informed !

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i ordered a new relay yesterday. called DUCATI of Indy and were super helpful. they searched the system and referred to Martin Eurosports in Penn. which they had 1 of 3 in the country. super lucky cause ducati is about a month or more behind on shipments.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I have recently replaced the relay on a 1995 M900. My guess it will be the relay rather than the earth (starter button) although you could check that just by earthing the correct relay terminal to the frame. Make sure its the right terminal by looking at the color coding or using a meter.

Although mine is an OEM part (and I had no difficulty getting one in NZ) Such a relay is pretty common so I suspect just about any standrd 12 V starter relay would work. However terminal mods probably required for non OEM.The biggest part is that its a bit of a bitch to get to, involving the battery box removal.

Given the price of Ducati bits I have started to replace Ducati with other equipment. The most scary was replacing the starter sprag with a KTM part at half the price. Works fine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i guess "starter relay" is a bland term. cause for some reason i called the stealership about the relay they thought i was talking about the one in the tail of the bike. i one i ended up ordering and messing with is the starter relay/solenoid under the battery tray.i know what you mean about removing the factory battery box. more time consuming than it needed to be. i decided to make a new batt. tray with a dry battery. a lot easier to pull in and out now. i have a partial thread in how-tos. i would have bought the yamaha relay CA-works sells, but for about $10 more i didn't have to change terminal connector. i hope it comes today.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i received my starter relay/solenoid. i had to drill some holes in the bottom of my new battery tray to mount it up. since i already had most of my bike apart. i bought some 4 gauge from the auto store and new brass lugs to replace the factory starter and ground wires. installed the new solenoid cranks right over. so happy, but was a bear to start. after re checking all the connectors the horiz and vert plug wires were flipped. fixed that and fired right up. so i a few words of advice when ever working on my bike or anything. mark your connectors. i've noticed that 1 connector could plug into 2 or 3 other plugs.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I am going from memory but my recollection was that the starter relay was tucked up under the battery box on my 1995 M900.

To get at it properly involved removing the battery box. If you feel you can get proper access without doing this just ignore me. However from your comments it seems clear that the starter relay is faulty. You should be able to check the starter button (earth) just by earthing a wire against the correct terminal, but chek it is the correct terminal carefully.

My M900 has just turned 28,000KM and generally problem free, althhough I have a small niggle with the mixture settings on one cylinder , but again the cards are so hard to get at I have just ignored it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts