Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Stew, I appreciate the shots as I've always been curious about the difference between the chambers. Any chance you might take a few more shots, matching the camera angles and distances. It's hard to tell what's going on with the difference in shot angles and scale. A few more shots from different angles would make the geometry easier to read. I realise though that one of them is probably back on the bike by now. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
The "V" combustion chamber is definitely oval shaped with some interesting reliefs around the outsides of valve seats.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Cool!

I pick the V head. [thumbsup]

Unless it's blown or a fueler, then it'd be a W. [cheeky]

Seriously, thanks for sharing the info.

·
Registered
489 Posts
What are the pros/cons for each?

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Yes, I'm curious, what's the difference in operation for both heads.

Justin

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 'W' heads were mid '96 to '98.

Pros: The smaller valves are more unshrouded.
Cons: 750 cams, 750 valves, and those bird-bath combustion chambers.

The 'V' heads were from '91(?) to mid '96, and '99-'02.

Pros: Larger valves, hotter cams, and a better combustion chamber
Cons: um.......anyone?

A lot of people bitched to Ducati when they found out that the 900's had 750 heads and didn't run anything like they should've. So, in '99 Ducati brought back the oval chambered (true) 900 headed 900's and again....all was right with the world.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I have heard from some pretty good sources that the "W"s weren't 750 heads, cams, etc. but by the same token, they weren't as hot as the "V"s.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mac900 said:
I have heard from some pretty good sources that the "W"s weren't 750 heads, cams, etc. but by the same token, they weren't as hot as the "V"s.
750's and 900's have different stud spacing.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The thing that led to calling the heads 750 heads, was the smaller valves that were the same as the 750 at the time. They were used speratically thru the tough financial years around '97 & '98. Some bikes had them & some didn't - same year, same model. I haven't heard of any of them on a 900 motor since the company sold in '98(?). They give predictable results: good low end power with nothing on top.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
brad black said:
have you tried measuring the volume?
Something is telling me that is a loaded question. ;D

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have you tried measuring the volume?
No, I didn't... And I didn't think of it until just now... And the W heads are already back on the engine.

Sorry... :(

these particular W heads had 750 cams in them BTW. Well, I *think* they're 750 cams as they're stamped the same as some '98 750 cams I have...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Duck-Stew said:
No, I didn't... And I didn't think of it until just now... And the W heads are already back on the engine.
--------------snip-------------
Hey, slow down on that working bit, you're getting in the way of important science. [laugh]

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ummmmm........My 97 750 has V heads (bathtub). Yes, I'm sure. I had them off the bike and did a lot of work on them. The valves were originally 750 valves. I put bigger valves in, but I wasn't sure 900 valves would fit in a 750 head so I had a 900 intake turned down a bit. Could've gone full size. The pictures got me because I've never seen the W before (supposed to be in my bike) and the one marked V (proper 900 head) surely had some subtle distinction I couldn't fathom. When I was working on the heads I went to Chris's site to look at the chamber on the bathtub type. It looked like mine but I assumed that the 900 bowl was deeper and that was why I couldn't see it. Confusion over. My heads are marked Y5.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Confusion over. My heads are marked Y5.
Nope, now I`m confused. Where are that marking? A pic of it?
Btw, the W/V2 marking is on the outside.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The Y5 is right below the cam cover on the horizontal cylinder. I'll try to post a picture tonight when I have more time. Anyone know how to reduce the picture file size on a canon powershot? Info for posting pics in a fac on the board?

·
Banned
897 Posts
bikenbits said:
Anyone know how to reduce the picture file size on a canon powershot? Info for posting pics in a fac on the board?
Menu, arrow to resolution, set, arrow to L,M,Small, set, menu

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
OK, so Y5 maybe is 750 heads w 750 stud spacing then?
And so, W is 750 w 900 spacing? Just guessin here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts