Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in San Diego normally, but I'm working for the summer in Cleveland, OH, so I'm on my way. Job starts Monday.

I did the longest day first, yesterday, 900 miles from San Diego to Albuqurque, NM. Today was easier; 550 to Oklahoma City. Tomorrow and Sunday are also easy, about 500 miles each to St. Louis and then to Cleveland.

I feel better than I thought I would. A little saddlesore, and a little stiff in the neck from holding the head against the wind for that long. But not too bad. Some sleep and a hot shower and I'll be ready to go again tomorrow.

PhilB

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well that is some riding. I don't think I can keep my focus for so long, let alone the physical stress. I do love my 1100 but if I have to ride like this I am buying a cruiser. Good luck with all the muscle aches and the remaining distance.

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even though it was a long day, it wasn't that bad. I got in the 900 even though I didn't get on the road until 0930, and I lost an hour and a half at my third gas stop to a minor mechanical malfunction that turned out to be a clogged gas cap not allowing the tank to vent. So with a good start I'm thinking 1000 miles wouldn't be too hard; maybe sometime I'll do the paperwork and do an Iron Butt 1000-mile day, just to add it to my list.

The last part of yesterday I linked up with a guy who was also headed for Albuquerque, finishing up a 1000-mile day from Bakersfield, on a Buell XB1200S. So that was two of us doing long rides on unfaired bikes. We happened to cross paths in Winslow Arizona,getting gas, so rode together the last few hundred to Alb.

His GPS verified that both our speedometers were more accurate than we had thought. We were both running at an indicated 100, and his GPS said we were actually at 97; that's pretty close.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
His GPS verified that both our speedometers were more accurate than we had thought. We were both running at an indicated 100, and his GPS said we were actually at 97; that's pretty close.
Go easy cowboy. Be safe and best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've been kicking around the idea of doing that exact route this fall. Cleveland to San Pedro.
I was thinking that I'd get one of those cheapo windscreens that clip on to the bars just for that ride. I also think that I'd take a week to do it, those are some big numbers that you put up, I'm not sure that I could do it.

A friend of mine says to have the bike shipped and have an enjoyable 4 hour flight, but he doesn't ride, so he just doesn't get it.

I'd like to hear more about the experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm glad I live in Europe, we can blast around a bit quicker than you guys over there in the U.S. as our cops don't have guns for a start! When we're scooting across the continent we wouldn't be hanging around (on 1098's) but 900 miles in a day is pretty hardcore, well done that man!

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been kicking around the idea of doing that exact route this fall. Cleveland to San Pedro.
I was thinking that I'd get one of those cheapo windscreens that clip on to the bars just for that ride. I also think that I'd take a week to do it, those are some big numbers that you put up, I'm not sure that I could do it.

A friend of mine says to have the bike shipped and have an enjoyable 4 hour flight, but he doesn't ride, so he just doesn't get it.

I'd like to hear more about the experience.
When the project is done and I ride back, I hope to be able to take a week or more so I can see the sights and get off the main highways. This trip is just a straight slog to get there in time.

But I feel surprisingly good. I'm in St. Louis tonight; did about 600 today, 550 the day before, and the big 900 the first day. Just one more day to Cleveland, and I feel fine. I expected this trip to kick my ass and tell me I'm not as young as I used to be, but I'll get there ready to go to work.

I will write up more detail once I get there; there have been a couple interesting hurdles to jump.

The middle of this country sure has a lot of bugs in it.

PhilB

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My traveling rig.

PhilB

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have achieved Cleveland.

2700 miles in four days. Perfect weather every mile of the way.

Only minor mishaps (clogged gas tank vent, flat tire, AWOL kickstand bolt [also then resulting in broken clutch lever -- that's a tough clutch to use with one finger]). I won a performance award in Texas -- 90 in a 70. I'm a little bit stiff and saddlesore, but not as bad as I expected.

All in all, a good trip.

A big thanks to RPM Motorsports in Catoosa OK, for fixing my kickstand and plugging my tire, getting me quickly back on the road, and *not charging me for it*! Thanks Frank! THIS is why we should support our local shops.

And of course, thanks to my trusty bike for another 10,000,000 engine revolutions.

PhilB

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice ride...btw, it looks like you got some huge watermelon wrapped in a rubber mat at your back :)
That, my friend, is what may be the world's best sleeping bag. It's made for snow camping in Sweden, and I can roll it out anywhere, under any conditions, and be pretty well assured of a good warm night's sleep.

PhilB

·
Registered
105 Posts
awesome! need to post more pics of the adventure

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
awesome! need to post more pics of the adventure
I didn't take any. (a) I was too busy riding, (b) this was a fairly boring main highway slog, (c) I don't like cameras anyway, and (d) I got a new laptop for this job, and don't have a card reader for it to get pics off the camera if I did take any.

The one pic you see my wife took as I left; she e-mailed it to me.

I hope to have a better more scenic trip back at the end; I'll take some pics then. Plus then I'll end at home, and I can get the teenager to get them off the camera and sized properly and all that for me.

PhilB

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Philb, is the 181,000 miles on the same engine? Impossible right?
Yes, it is the same engine. The bottom end has never been opened. New piston rings at 122K, clutch basket at 140K, and that's the biggest parts. Lots of ordinary wear parts used, of course, but out of the main mechanicals it's all original.

PhilB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts