Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for opinions on the differences between the 85dB cans vs. the 105dB can. (sil motors be thy brand of topic) Aren't the stock cans 85 decibles? (or close to) I'd hate to buy the 85's and still not be able to appreciate the true full sound. And on the other hand, I hate to buy the 105's and have them be way too loud. Some comparisons, and real life decsriptions would be sweet! Thanks, (I also hear spareshack is giving 15% off Sil's until the first of the year)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have the 105db Sils... formerly I had stock cans, and then Strati-modded stock cans. The Sils are louder than the modded cans, but it's a different type of sound... I found the modified stockers to be plenty loud but they had more of a bass... deep and throaty. The Sils are certainly louder, but they have a slightly higher pitch... not the throaty rumble I was getting from the modded cans.

Are they way to loud? Depends on your definition of the term, but I don't think so. They are definately noticeble. ;-) You should get the 105's... most places would probably let you exchange them for 85's if you thought them too loud... check with Stuart or Motowheels.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just get the 105s, man, you'll be happy. Well, I am anyway.
Dion

M

·
0 Posts
I don't think I would bother with the 85db - unless you wanted a very quiet bike.

Their standard bikes sound very nice. If you buy some 105db pipes from us and you think they are too loud, we will swap you.

M

·
0 Posts
I've got the 105db's and they do have a nice sound. A hair loud, knock 5db off them and I would say they are perfect. Shorter cans look better too.

Buyer beware, motowheels or spareshack is probably better place to get them. Avoid Motostrano like the plague. I bought from them and their service is horrible. Fit and finish of Sils is iffy so if you have a problem like me dont except any help from them.

Motowheels: you guys have just the S pipes for 2002 monster?
shoulda bought from you first. :(

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Avoid Motostrano like the plague. I bought from them and their service is horrible.
I've used both Motowheels and Motostrano in the past and haven't had problems with either. How exactly was Motostrano's service horrible?

M

·
0 Posts
Well were to start..

Ordered my pipes, 9 Nov. Got them on the 20th. Installed and right away noticed the left side pipe was crap. You can see for yourself at http://www.403forbidden.net/Ducati/. Emailed Motostrano, waited a week never heard anything back. Emailed them again, nothing. Got a yahoo shopping survey (since their store is thru yahoo), filled out the survey detailing the poor experience with them so far. Got a response right away!

Shipped 2 day UPS, on my dime ($17!) back. Waited, waited, waited. Emailed to make sure they got the pipe okay. No answer. Called and found out they had and were going to ship a new part right out. Waited and waited. Finally the box arrived more than a week later. Never got the promised UPS tracking number and they shipped it UPS ground. Opened it up. Wrong part. Called them back (email is definatly not the way to go with them).
After a few days I finally got Joe to say he would ship another part. That was two weeks ago. So far only voicemails and unanswered emails have gone to them. No UPS tracking number has come my way. Never a followup call from them asking if I had gotten anything.

Oh well live and learn.

M

·
0 Posts
okay it gets better. Just heard from Joe, he actually called me back. Apparently the part that was supposed to be shipped two weeks ago and was (maybe) shipped yesterday or the day before.
I might have a part next monday and there is a 50/50 chance it might fit! Great, just in time for me to be out of town so it can sit on my front porch. Today its 65 freaking degrees outside and my bike is half apart.

:mad:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've spent a good bunch of $$ at Motostrano and have had excellent service every time.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Can anyone describe the sound of the 85s? It seems everyone gets the 105s. I don't want to make my bike any louder, but it (M800S) sounds a little whiny, and I'd like a little throatier vtwin kind of a sound. I want it to sound more like I think a Ducati should, but I don't want to piss off the neighbors. Should I just modify the stock cans a bit, or are there quietish after market ones that sound good?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
you're not gonna scare the neighbors in the morning with 105s... maybe set off a few car alarms every so often.

keep in mind, if you ever think you want to take your bike to Laguna Seca for a track day, you have to keep the dBs under 90 (dB restriction there)... all the other Calif tracks have no noise restriction.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I checked the box they came in , but my Sils(FBF) doesn't say, you think they are 105db??

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Looking back, my right S pipe looks awesome!, but the left pipe is not right, not quite as bad as yours sounds, I can live with it, but that is Sil's fit and finish. I too got mine from Joe. I have had some trouble with motostrano but Joe is a good guy. He has a shop to run and handle all his online parts stuff. I think he just has too much to handle. I don't think I will buy any more technical stuff from Joe, like my Keihens, dyna coils. I look to Chris for that stuff. I say stick to Joe for smaller less expensive stuff.

Joe did not know that I had to have motion pro throttle cables, and tube, and airbox adapters for my FCR's. I had to go to Chris to get that, and pay more money.
Joe didn't know that dyna coils do not mount right up where the old coils do.
Chris has more experience with these parts so I will look to him for future stuff. Unfortunately he doesn't sell sils.
Just like you said, live and learn.

-Patrick

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I want it to sound more like I think a Ducati should, but I don't want to piss off the neighbors. Should I just modify the stock cans a bit, or are there quietish after market ones that sound good?
You should get the Strati 1/2 way mod. I did it and it sounds great. Not too loud to piss of the neighbors, but good rumble.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I'm looking for opinions on the differences between the 85dB cans vs. the 105dB can. (sil motors be thy brand of topic) Aren't the stock cans 85 decibles? (or close to) I'd hate to buy the 85's and still not be able to appreciate the true full sound. And on the other hand, I hate to buy the 105's and have them be way too loud. Some comparisons, and real life decsriptions would be sweet! Thanks,

·
Registered
100 Posts
S4 with 85db oval alloy Sil's.

Sorry about the picture quality. I havn't seen the 105db version but my cans have a db reducer tack welded into the full race size outlet. Looks like a simple enough bodge to tap a couple of holes for retaining screws then remove the weld blobs to have a choice between musical and MUSICAL.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I performed the strati chop the pipe in half mod and damn those pipes are loud. Of course I like it that way. There is no way someone would be able to say they didn't hear me. They are really loud at around 3k but once you get in the 5-9k range they are not that bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts