Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My low beam is out. On my bike theres no switching on it it just comes on with the ignition and I can change to high beam with the handlebar switch obviously.

But now it's high-beam or no beam.

I've changed the bulb, checked the fuses so the next logical step would be a headlight relay I'd have thought....but I can't find one anywhere and its driving me mad.

Does anyone have any idea where it's hiding?

Or am I getting it wrong. Is there another way it works without a relay being required? It's got a H4 bulb in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pull the clip to the headlight...note the routing...I think you might have yanked the pins from the clip preventing the connection
Okay I’ll take a look at it today, I pulled it last night but was starting to get a bit tired and gung-ho with it all so decided to stop. I wasn’t sure which pins were which circuit on the plug . Is there any diagram for it do you know?

I think the far left as you look at the plug is ground?

·
Registered
685 Posts
It isn't necessary to trace the wires...it's more of freeing up the needed slack to prevent the pins from being stressed under tension...if the cable isn't routed properly...there isn't enough slack to maintain contact when turning and the pins literally get pulled from their socket...fairly confident this is the issue...pop the clip...slide the pins into position... listen for them to click into place inside the clip...turn the bike on and then rotate the bars side to side insuring that they stay in contact...if the light goes off...the harness isn't routed correct...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It isn't necessary to trace the wires...it's more of freeing up the needed slack to prevent the pins from being stressed under tension...if the cable isn't routed properly...there isn't enough slack to maintain contact when turning and the pins literally get pulled from their socket...fairly confident this is the issue...pop the clip...slide the pins into position... listen for them to click into place inside the clip...turn the bike on and then rotate the bars side to side insuring that they stay in contact...if the light goes off...the harness isn't routed correct...
Okay, I’ve pulled the clip this morning and the pins all look to be seated correctly. They’re all in the same spot but I’ll free up some slack just to be sure and plug it back in to see if that helps in case they’re moving back when plugged in.

I think I’ll also check the continuities inside the headlight between the bulb holder and the connector on the back of the light assembly which hopefully will tell me if there’s any disconnect or break in the light unit itself and if nothing else will hopefully let me identify which pin is the ground and low beam so I can check if I’m getting power to the plug from the bike itself…I’ll let you know how I get on

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this evening I've had a more detailed look at the plug (the metal clip is just currently off on the workbench) but the pins seem okay as far as I can tell.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Personal luxury car Automotive tire

I've also put a tester across them and get the following if you look at it 1-4 left to right.
1. Ground
2. DRL
3. High Beam
4. Low Beam

Using a multimeter I get 12v on the DRL pin, 12v on the High Beam when it's switched on and I presume I should also get 12v on the Low Beam Pin when the engine is running but theres nothing there.

I originally assumed there should be a low/high beam relay somewhere that controls the switching between the two but I can only find the 3x relays under the fuel tank none of which are it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Physically tug on each wire...to be sure it's seated...once it's free...it just slides back when pushing the clip forward....same goes if there isn't enough slack...as you force the clip on, the pin just retracts...was a palm to face find

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay well once I've pulled the wire back at Buhgaboo's persistence what I found was a broken wire to the low beam.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Unfortunately the GND wire also gave up pretty much immediately and the other two are not far behind, both are fraying....it's clear that someone has been in there before and done a bit of a hatchet job but at least I know where the issue is now.

So clearly I need to rewire it but does anyone know how to open up and rewire one of those plugs? Is it easier just to buy a new plug in which case what plug is it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Okay well once I've pulled the wire back at Buhgaboo's persistence what I found was a broken wire to the low beam. View attachment 227973

Unfortunately the GND wire also gave up pretty much immediately and the other two are not far behind, both are fraying....it's clear that someone has been in there before and done a bit of a hatchet job but at least I know where the issue is now.

So clearly I need to rewire it but does anyone know how to open up and rewire one of those plugs? Is it easier just to buy a new plug in which case what plug is it?
Heat shrink tubing, a scrap of wire and a bit of soldering and you’ll be done before you can even order a new plug.

No twisting and taping!!

These are skills every Ducati owner needs to have.

Good luck—

1 - 13 of 13 Posts