Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have dreamnt of owing a Monster for many years now and today I test rode a 821 stealth and a 1200.
My previous bike was a Suzuki SV650 which I sold about 7 years ago.
I am tossing and turning over which one to buy. I love the stealth look and the power seems more than enough for what I am planning to do but at the same time I'm worried that after a few months I would have wished I purchased the 1200 for that extra bit of grunt (not that I will need it on the street).

Anyone else been in this same predicament and have any words of advice?

Regards

Armando

PS - I loved my first ride on a monster!! :smile

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Armando,

I had the exact same concern as you 2 weeks ago. Shamefully I did not have a chance to try 1200. I compare 821 with Scrambler and decided to go with 821. Basically, I just ride it for commute, so the power is more than enough for me. I vote for 821 :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Are you interested in wild bursts of acceleration? :devil

I have not tried an 821. I came from a V twin Tuono and figures less power would disappoint.
The 1200 does not disappoint. I still get mid 40's MPG in back road riding. Not slow but not too fast so as to get ticketed. Love it. You do not have to use all the power if you do not want to. At some point you will want to let 'er rip, I suspect. :smile

·
Super Moderator
3,917 Posts
The 821 has wonderful balance, and more than enough power for anything in real life.
I spent 25 years riding the original M900, with about 75hp, and it was never boring, and was enough power for anything,
I have testridden the 821 and the 1200, and would choose the 821 for me.

In fact, I need more carrying capacity, so instead of another Monster, I'm getting more of a sport-touring bike.
So my next bike is probably going to be the SuperSport 939. Which again has more than enough power for real life.
I could get something way more gonzo, like a KTM 1290SD, or Mulitstrada 1260 or some such, but I love the balance of the SuperSport.

For real life honest riding, that's much more satisfying and important to me than raw power.

PhilB

Reactions: armando.avanti

·
Registered
2 Posts
just went to a dealership and couldn’t decide on 821, 1200 or supersport. Checked all 3 out and decided on the 2019 821 black. I learned on a 250cc bike and this is a great bike for my first. Not to fast but still has the speed. I have almost 300 miles and already feel like I need some more juice. Although in Sport mode, I feel like I have to really throttle it to rip. But I also am used to fast cars. 821 for the money is great, but if you do want more speed then 1200. So 821 is a great bike but if you want more speed and more advanced rider 1200 - my opinion

1 - 5 of 5 Posts