Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to 2 wheels - ride a 250cc vespa scooter in manhattan(quite an adventure) looking to get a new monster - for city comute and for some longer trips ( 1-2 hrs) to NJ, upstate and long island- will keep the vespa untill i get safe and comfortable on the duc- which bike do you all reccomend- cost is less of an issue than safety. thanks

·
Registered
650 Posts
Its more of a personal preference really. The 800 has a lighter clutch pull and a bit less power than the 1000, but the 1000 has better brakes and adjustable front forks. Both will get you into trouble if you don't have good throttle control.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
what he ^ said.

the 800 is more than adequate (especially with a 14 tooth front sprocket) as far as power goes, the 1000 even more so.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I grew up around bikes and my 800 is plenty fast. Not that I don't want to make it faster, but that's half the fun of it. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
The increased torque of the 1000 in traffic could make for a little less clutching and shifting.

As noted, with either bike if you're riding a lot in city traffic the 14 tooth counter shaft sprocket would be a big improvement over the stock 15.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
If you are new to bikes go with the 800. It has less power and lower end parts, but is for sure a great bike. The city is hard on bikes so spending
less for the 800 might be a good idea anyway. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't rule out the new 695 either...you would be very surprised at the amount of power it puts out for it's size. I bought my wife a 2003 monster 620 for her first bike and she loves it and quite honestly I find myself stealing it quite a bit and leaving the 748 at home ...the monster is just a fun bike to ride....btw I take both bikes to work and sit in ALOT of traffic and have to say I prefer the wet clutch in the 620 over the dry clutch any day.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
The 1000 blows in stop & go traffic...gearing changes are a must.

800 will have more than enough power for 99.9% of your riding.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
OT said:
The 1000 blows in stop & go traffic...gearing changes are a must.

800 will have more than enough power for 99.9% of your riding.
+1
The Monster 1000s is difficult in Traffic. Hands get cramped holding the clutch.
I still love it though!

I test rode the Monster 695 and it is really nice! Clutch was soooooooooo much easier.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Actually there is no 800 or 1000. To be accurate the thread title should be 803 vs 992 [laugh]

I was going around a car park today and at one point I had to pull the clutch in, use my thumb to indicate and steer the bike down an incline at the same time which was tricky enough, but I thought that would be so much harder with a dry clutch.

The easy pull clutch is sweet. Earlier in the day I had the bike in the shop for some work. The mech hops on it to ride it into the workshop and says, 'Man, that clutch is so light.'

+1 on the 14t. Both the bikes will lug at car park speeds without it. 14t has other benefits too. It's a great $50 mod.

Actually if you really want the S2R1000 there is talk of some 2007 models having wet clutches.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=67158.0

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with going for the 800. As a noob myself (only 900 miles on the new Monster) It is a great around town bike and not too much power, but still plenty to thrill. Plus the insurance goes way up on liter bikes, from what I've heard.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

·
Registered
5 Posts
I swapped the clutch lever on my wife's monster 620 to an adjustable lever (for her girly hands) and that combined with the wet clutch is a VERY easy to use clutch...cheap mod just had to be a little creative with relocating the lever switch for starting the engine when the bike is in gear.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Love my S2R 800. I've ridden quite a few 1000DS Ducatis and they are all nice but nothing has yet tempted me to treade or sell the 800. The 800 "feels" a bit more quicker to rev than the 1000 which I like. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the 800. Like many have already stated. Drop a tooth on the sprocket for better city manners.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a S2R800, my first bike. I have put in close to 6,000 miles since August, commute everyday to work (Manhattan) and do long rides on the weekends. While my thoughts have wondered off to a S2R1000 and more specifically to a S4R, the S2R800 is more than plenty for the city and quick jaunts on the weekends. It has tremendous pull, nimble and comfortable for small or large distance rides. Since I have never riding a bike with a dry clutch, can't quite comment on that, but can testify that my city riding is usually done between 1 and 2 gear, with the clutch highly active. I never feel like the bike slows me down or that it could not handle any situation (specially in the city). I guess the high end parts would be great, but feel that the real effects of those parts would be lost on me due to the riding I am currently doing.

Hope this opinion helps.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
How much reduction in pull do the aftermarket slave cyclinders for the dry clutches provide?

I don't have any problem with the clutch pull, but the S2R 1000 clutch pull and feel isn't even close to my '06 Beta trials bike.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Sieg said:
How much reduction in pull do the aftermarket slave cyclinders for the dry clutches provide?
Not as much as one is lead to believe, some people remove a few springs from the pressure plate, instead.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I just completed today the 800 v. 1000 comparison myself and decided on the 800, for a number of reasons. The lighter clutch pull, the smoother motor, and the great deal I got on a leftover 06 were what put me over the top. I'm never been a fan of the dry clutch and I'm leery of the surging problems I've read about on here, which even my dealer didn't deny. The 800 has plenty of power, and its right off the bottom where you need it. I learned many years and many bikes ago that it's not the size of the equipment, it's how you use it. I find it a lot more satisfying to learn to go fast on a slower bike.

This will be the least powerful of the 7 bikes I've owned, but I think I'm looking forward to it more than any other (well except for my RZ350, a houligan bike if there ever was one). I can't wait to take delivery on my 800 this weekend.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts