Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I put the first 600 miles on my bike over the weekend and I must say I love my monster. It's the most fun I've had on two wheels period.
My question has to do with low r.p.m. (2000-3500) running while in stop in go traffic. After about 5-10 minutes of this, she seems to stumble a bit at low r.p.m. until I get a chance to run through a few gears.
I'm not worried yet, but I thought I would ask the veterans or any of the new 800 owners for some advice.

Thanks for the help,
<><
murry

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could just be high temperature. New motors with no hours on them have a higher load as there is increased friction as the internal parts of the motor "bed-in" with each other

Avoid stop-and-go traffic in the initial break-in period.

Also curious if you have chipped your fuel system or put on performance cans....and lastly what type of gas are you using?

The fact that it cleans up under speed says that either transient carbon build-up is burning off the spark plugs, or the air movement is bringing the engine back to a decent operating temp or both

Extended standing idle is NEVER a good thing with an air cooled engine...especially a brandy-new one.

Ride in the dead of night :)

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The Monster motors don't really like running below about 3000 rpms. If you rev the engine, does it clear out, or do you actually need to get up to speed to clear it? It could just be the extra heat.

I don't really have much experience with stop and go traffic, because when the cars stop around here, we just split on by. 8)

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I've put 6500Km. on my 800s, I guess less than 500km. was done in traffic (city). I allways try to keep the rpm above 3500 when I'm forced to deal with slow going. I was told by a dealer that some Monsters foul plugs quite easily. Your engine is quite new and still tight it will smooth out and run cleaner as the miles add up; enjoy.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the input guys, it's greatly appreciated. To answer some questions, I haven't done any performance mods yet but I plan to as soon as the money is right. It would clean up when I increased the engine speed whether I was moving or not. I've just learned not to putt around at 2000 r.p.m.. It's been running fantastic otherwise, I love my monster.
Thanks again for the replys and I'll keep you posted if my little problem continues

<><
murry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts