Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the search and tried to find the difference between the dark and the regular. But I couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for. I am about to buy an 800 Monster and have a choice between a '03 800 Dark and a '04 800. Same price out the door two different places. Both are new.

I like the matte black and the place with the dark is closer to home (3 miles). So I wanted to know what everyone thinks, should I go the extra 28 miles to get the new '04 800 monster or is the '03 Dark (which I like the color of) about the same value.

Thanks,
Gene

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
the regular version has a few upgrades from the dark, cf heel guards, aluminum swing arm vs. steel and maybe something else. Those things are true for 2003, not sure if anything changed in the models for 2004. Good luck, either way you'll be happy with your decision. The 2004 is a better deal, a year newer and the non dark version is more expensive to begin with.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
O4 800 specs are the same as the 03 800Dark other than the 04 has a seat cowl and there are no dark models for 04. They "downgraded" the specs on the 04 to the dark specs from 03. gone is the aluminum swingarm as well.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Dark and love the Dark color, however the non-Dark is an 04 rather than an 03, therefore a better value.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Down the road, the '04 will be worth more.

One year newer with a higher MSRP. What color is the '04?

·
Registered
204 Posts
On the 03 800 you had to get the 800S to get the aluminum swing arm, higher ground clearance, and I think the bikini fairing. You have TWO dealers within 30 miles??- you're killin me here!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the information. They have a new '04 in black or red, and the Dark is Matte Black. For some reason, I really like the Matte Black look. That's what is killing me here. The gloss black is cool, but doesn't do the same thing to me.

Yeah, it's pretty nice haveing a couple of Duc dealers in the same vicinity.

I need to have it lowered, because I'm short and they both have a different method to do this. One will put in a lowering kit with a new shock and maybe modify the seat, and the other uses a custom adjustable link.

http://www.easterncycleducati.com/monsterlink.htm

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

As a reference I'm 5'5". Don't need to floor my feet, but I'd like to at least get the the balls of both feet on the ground. Maybe get a 1 1/4 lower.

Thanks,
Gene

·
Registered
366 Posts
After 38 years of riding, something I've learned is: Get the bike you want. It's not a rational purchase. Go with the heart, not the head. :)

Thanks for all the information. They have a new '04 in black or red, and the Dark is Matte Black. For some reason, I really like the Matte Black look. That's what is killing me here. The gloss black is cool, but doesn't do the same thing to me.

Yeah, it's pretty nice haveing a couple of Duc dealers in the same vicinity.

I need to have it lowered, because I'm short and they both have a different method to do this. One will put in a lowering kit with a new shock and maybe modify the seat, and the other uses a custom adjustable link.

http://www.easterncycleducati.com/monsterlink.htm

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After three years of riding - I AGREE! Thanks Fastbike ;D

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Hey iDuc, come to the Bay Area. There are 4 dealers that I know of within 30 miles of downtown San Francisco. Expand that area to 50 miles and I think you're up to like 7...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I wish I had gotten an '03 M800 but it would have had to be an S model with the aluminum swingarm. I don't know if the seat height of the '03 is the same as the '04 but I think the '04 is as low as the 620 and lower than the 1000 and S4R. I believe the '04 620 and 800 have the lowest seat height in the Ducati line up at 30.5 inches.

·
Registered
59 Posts
O4 800 specs are the same as the 03 800Dark other than the 04 has a seat cowl and there are no dark models for 04.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts