Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just turned over 200 miles on my 800 and experiencing my first problem. It seems all of a sudden the feel of my clutch has dramatically changed. It used to engage almost all the way out. But it now it wants to engage almost first thing.

One second the bike was fine, I stopped, ate. Then I started up and went to go and it felt totally different. Kind of freaking me out since the bike is so new

thanks

travis

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
How is your clutch fluid level?

Your slave cylinder or plumbing may be leaking, or your slave cylinder may be failing.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's pretty dark in my garage and the window is so small I can't see at the moment. But definitely the lever feels different. It is really easy to pull now, only a bit of tension at the end. From other post I think my slave probably has failed. Don't know much about the whole thing but I hope it's under warranty

This really sucks because this bike is new. Only one week old. I was really loving taking it around. Now I am wondering how I can take it to the dealer like this. Don't want to damage anything.

travis

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
200 miles? you bet it's under warranty. top off the clutch master and get it to the dealer. make sure they hear the noise. it may be a separate issue.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This morning I checked the bike and the clutch seemed to be fine. It's really wierd. There was no sign of leaking. I took it the dealer and he said everything looked fine. Maybe the plates were braking in or something.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
my only suggestion is make sure a repair order was written so you have proof of the complaint if a problem occurs down the line. other than that, ride safe and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
s2travis,

I have a new M800S as well, just about to turn 1 week old with around 220 miles on it. I haven't noticed anything abnormal with the clutch yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it. I do love riding it and find myself looking her over all the time.
On another note, I did try switching to a lower grade octane (87 or 89, I forget, it was pretty late) from using 93 (both from Shell) while driving around last night. There wasn't much left of the 93, but my engine sounded very different after starting her back up, knocking quite a bit. I was a little unnerved, so I stayed out and drove around for some 60 miles just to see if it persisted. I got back home around midnight and she sounded ok. Haven't taken her out today. Have you or anyone else noticed any knocking when switching to 87 or 89? I was hoping to avoid the plugs fouling up as some posters have mentioned with higher octanes. Right now I'm a little confused....Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, must have gotten our bikes about the same time. I started driving my about a week ago. I have not tried the 87 yet. I did try the 89 and have not noticed anything yet. I don't think I am going to try the 87.

Wierd clutch stuff is the only problem. Hopefully it won't happen again though. I am totally obsessed with this bike. Probably the best thing I have bought in a really long time.

travis

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Just got back in after a ride. Everything was normal and it was in fact 89 that I used (went by the gas station I stopped at). I think I'm obsessed as well. The sound, handling, and looks of this bike never cease to amaze me. My only regret is waiting this long to experience it... ;D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was a air bubble in my clutch line I guess. They bled the line and refilled it.

travis

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey travis,

I ride a new 800 as well and just experienced the cluth problem you described while riding in the city tonight. I was riding in stop and go traffic so I used the clutch alot and the oil was as hot as it's ever been......about 230.

I may bleed mine if it keeps up... let me know how yours is doing after the air bleed.

Thanks,
<><
murry

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does your lever feel different? that was the big thing for me. the lever started to have slack in it. for the first inch or so there was no pressure. At first I thought maybe it was just me, but I went and felt a new bike and then realized mine definitely was starting to lose the pressure.

Also I noticed that my fluid was starting to look a little cloudy compared to my brake fluid. I took it in, told them the problem and they fixed it. They were really cool. Moto Mechanica for anyone in the bay area.

Ran today for about 40 miles. So far so good.

travis

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
My clutch fluid started getting dark fairly quickly on my S4.

Basically, the clutch gets more use than the brake, and definitely displaces more fluid, so it's going to get dirty looking much quicker than the brakes.

Glad to hear you got it resolved, and the dealer supported you.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah an air bubble would definately cause that.

I don't think the dirty clutch fluid is anything to worry about. Mine did the same thing - within a couple days of picking it up, it was getting darker than the brake fluid. I think it looks really lousy - one day I'll get a couple solid colored or alluminum clutch/brake reservoirs.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes Travis, last night I noticed my lever to have a lot of slack for the first half of its travel. I fortunatley had enough travel left to disengage the cluch. Sure enough, I rode my bike this morning and I experienced the same problem. I flushed out the system today and cleaned the resevoir. The brake fluid appeared to be contaminated by moisture. It was very cloudy like all the others have described, but it's working fine since the cleaning and flush. I'll keep you posted.

<><
murry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts