Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

796 vs M1100(s)

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  ARE. 
#1 ·
I have ridden 1 1/2 yrs with a m620 and a bmw r1100s.... m620 is gone so
i need to decide between a 796 and 1100....have logged about 6000 miles...
what are your thoughts for me??......most riding is on 2 lane twisties but
also definately drive in city as well......I want a bike thats manageable...
no interest in an abrupt untamed throttle response.......want a smooth
bike that can rev when called upon but not throwing you unexpectedly...

thanks for your replies.....

p.s....I ride quick but not fast...havent been over 105mph....

#2 ·
I would say get the 796 very capable in the city with some gearing changes(for me, two teeth in the rear vice 14T) so 15/41!

#3 ·
cherokee1,
Most likely you will get a bunch of responses giving all types of varied opinions. Me, I would tell you to get the M1100S 'cause I have one and I think it is great. The next poster who already has a 796 will tell you to get that because he has one and thinks it is the best. Just remember, you are talkin' about a Ducati......they all are freakin' great.

One thing to consider however, the 1100 and "S" models are not selling quite as well as Ducati had hoped and there are some really good incentives to buy an 1100. I purchased a brand new '09 M1100S this year with a fair discount and also received a very fair discount on all the accessories I purchased at time of sale. I do not know if there are any incentives available with the 796 considering that it is a new release.

#4 ·
Instead of telling you which one you should buy I will tell you why I got my M796. But first I must point out that all of the Monster range are superb bikes.

I test rode all three and the 796 has the looks and size of the 1100 ,696 is way too low for me. The 1100 engine is too big a beast for me and I also prefer the slipper clutch on the 796. The 796 is the most comfortable out of the box, don't want to start having to spend more money on new seats and bar risers etc..the new 803cc engine on the 796 uses some light weight components and produces 87bhp, the engine feels much beafier than the 696, with a much needed dollop of torque. The 796 is 9000 Euros & the 1100 is 13500 ...........................other details like the new black rear sets and rim tape also added to the 796's visual appeal. It's up to you, I could have afforded to buy the 1100 , in fact if the 796 hadn't come out I would have. Choices, choices.....................

#5 ·
I cam off a sportbike so my opinion may be a littel skewed.

I bought an m1100S MY10 and got a fair discount off the bike, the second skins and a parts discount for the year.

I really like the riding position and it has gobs of torque. I do not feel like some that it is too much for the street but my last three bikes were a CBR100RR, R1, and a ZX10. It does not have the top end rush but I am still as quick through the twisties as I was but can ride all day long instead of my body getting tired on the sport bike.

I sat on a 796 at a shop and the bike feels the exact same as my 1100 so most of what you are looking for will be in the difference in power. Go test ride at your local show and I think your decision will come to you.

Now after looking at all the bikes at Indy I need to open up my clutch basket..so no matter which one you but there will always be things to do to them.

#6 · (Edited)
Finally got my 41 Tooth on the rear. Nice!! I can ride around town and shift instead of riding in one or two gears with lurching etc. I can actually short shift now!! On a different note, I happen to be at the dealer, and a guy asked me what bike I had, I told him 796, he asked if I had ABS, I said no. He told me, I had a rare bike now, no more non ABS 796 Monsters being made. Turns out, this guy works for Ducati!

#7 ·
The big difference between the 696/796 and the 1100 is not just power, but the fully adjustable suspension, especially the front forks, which on the 696/796 have no adjustments.
Others on this board have complained about the front end on the 796 and asking what can be done.

I also hear that a smart shopper can pick up a new 2010 1100 for close to the same price as a 2011 796.

#8 ·
OP: I had a couple of reasons for going with the 1100s -- (1) Great price (2) Mid-range in terms of power between my two previous bikes the 620 and the 848. I knew that stepping down from the 848 would be hard, so I chose the 1100 since the torque was considerably more than the 796. I put in a few extra dollars to get the upgraded suspension with the S model, which makes a big difference in riding smoothness. You can also add a 14T and/or Throttle Tamer to help mellow out engine response even more.

As everyone here says...you can save a lot by getting the previous year's 1100 so it really comes down to your riding prefs. You'll be spending in the same range with either bike.

#9 ·
Like norcalguy, I chose the 1100 because for almost the same price as the new 796, I could get a 2009 M1100 brand new. I also didn't want to feel like I "outgrew" a 696 or 796 in a year or two so I just opted for the bigger model.

I had some mods added to the financing (Ducati had special financing for 3.99% apr) but I added a lot myself afterward. Since I'm new to Ducs, the stock suspension is just fine for me and once I upgrade it in a year or so, It'll just make my bike feel new again :) Skins also help with that fact.

#10 ·
I love the dry clutch rattle you get with the 1100, but I test rode both the 1100 and the 796 last week before deciding. The dealer offered $2,000 off a 2009 1100, but since Ducati is now offering free ABS on 2011 796s, he also offered to take $950 off the 2011 non-ABS 796 they had on the floor. For me, I couldn't justify the extra $1,600+ (after taxes) for the dry clutch and marginal hp (and I previously rode a Triumph Speed Triple) on a bike two years older.

Try them both, see how you feel, and see what your local dealer will do for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.