Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my first post on this awesome forum, and it's a technical question: anyone know the torque spec to the Monster 796's oil mesh filter drain plug?

More details below. Hope someone can help!

-Beez

Details: I'm changing the oil on my 2013 Monster 796, and I realize I don't have the torque spec mentioned above. What's funny is that no one ever talks about it, not even the service manual.

Remember that there are two drain plugs in the oil sump: the main magnetic one located in the center of the sump (5mm hex), and the second one off to the side that drains the oil from the mesh filter (6mm hex). It's the latter's torque value I'd like to know. For completeness, here are the other torque values usually associated with an oil change:
  • Main drain plug: 20 Nm (not 42 Nm!)
  • Oil mesh filter: 42 Nm
  • Oil mesh filter housing plug: 42 Nm
  • Oil filter: 11 Nm (Or whatever hand-tight method you prefer.)
If I had to take a guess, that second drain plug would also be 20 Nm, but I'd like to ask you guys to be sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

That typo regarding the sump plug torque is in a lot of Ducati manuals and has likely been the cause of much grief! In which case it can't be repeated enough.

The second 'drain plug' is actually the oil pump intake service hole plug according to Ducati, it's a 15mm x 1 thread and torque is 25Nm (FWIW it's not supposed to be removed, Ducati actually recommend to use LOCK 5 threadlocker on it. But I can't see any problem using it as an extra drain plug, especially seeing as so many people mistake it for the sump plug anyway! :))
The other torque values you have correspond to what I have listed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much, cs! That explains everything. I had a lot of trouble sleuthing the part name from the service manual (oil pump intake...), don't think I would have ever gotten it without your help. Thanks again!

PS Nice stable you got there :)

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
169 Posts
+1 on everything cs363 said.

I can share the pdf of the service manual if you like (complete with 42 Nm typo!).
It's too big to attach but PM me your email and I'll send it on.

The naming conventions aren't great and the Torque Settings section is separate from the diagrams and labelling of the parts, so if you are trying to trace a torque setting to a picture of a part, I find that noting the bolt size and pitch (e.g. M15x1) is a good way to be sure you're right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts