Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm waiting on my Speedymoto Riser Clip-ons and in the meantime have been checking out all the threads regarding clip-ons and replacement upper trees etc. One thing I haven't seen many details about is what to do about the instrument pod/carbuncle. Once the handlebars are out of the way, it seems way too forward. A friend and I are about to start mocking up a bracket in SolidWorks to move the pod back towards the tank. Does an after-market bracket already exist? Has anybody else made their own? If so, is there anything I should keep in mind as we design this? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i posted some pics here http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/accessories-mods/211785-my-796-w-mods.html

currently the instrument pod hasn't been adjusted, maybe lowered a little since the speedymoto top triple sits a little lower than the oem triple & riser...if you look at one of the pictures...youll see i installed the headlight bracket on the underside of the new triple...what i was thinking of doing is cutting the stock cluster brackets and then make a custom bracket that mounts to the top side of the triple so that the new cluster will sit directly on top of the headlamp...

just a thought, hope it helps!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I lowered my cluster with fabricated aluminum brackets. I used the stock triple but the same concept can be applied to the Speedymoto. I'm also using a custom LED headlight so mounting this with the stock headlight assembly will be trickier. It lowered the cluster almost flush with the end of the triple. Not only does this look cleaner but it also provided a more direct view of the cluster when riding with the more forward positioning of clipons...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I lowered my cluster with fabricated aluminum brackets. I used the stock triple but the same concept can be applied to the Speedymoto. I'm also using a custom LED headlight so mounting this with the stock headlight assembly will be trickier. It lowered the cluster almost flush with the end of the triple. Not only does this look cleaner but it also provided a more direct view of the cluster when riding with the more forward positioning of clipons...

nice work! that's what i had in mind as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What size are the holes you drilled? 8mm and 6mm?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Who's ready for some more pictures??

Just to clarify; my setup only works if your are NOT using the OEM headlight assembly - an aftermarket headlight with different mounting points will be needed with this particular setup.

The OEM headlight "hangs" on two rubber grommet mounts that bolt to the bottom of the top triple. These are the two mounts that I re-purposed to support the instrument cluster. I used an M8 bolt to mount the bracket to these mounts with a washer and nut on the bottom. Brackets were formed from 1" x 1/8" aluminum stock.

This is what it looks like after you take off the headlight (the left mount is removed but you get the idea)

Early mock up...

To secure the cluster to the brackets I used the factory mounting screws - there are 4. I forget their size - just measure yours. I drilled 2 holes in the bracket to snugly fit these screws - it will take some patience trimming, filing, and sanding to get these brackets to fit perfectly with the cluster cover on. Take your time here.

I only used the top two mounting screws to secure the cluster not all 4 factory screws as you can see. The cluster is very secure with just these two - It doesn't bounce or vibrate any more than stock. Since the cluster is mounted directly on the factory rubber grommets it provides the cluster some vibration and shock resistance which is nice.

Everything was sanded, polished, then coated black prior to final fitment...

·
Registered
38 Posts
The holes you drilled for mounting on the back of the instrument panel, are they 6mm? Wasn't sure if you saw my last post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Who's ready for some more pictures??

Just to clarify; my setup only works if your are NOT using the OEM headlight assembly - an aftermarket headlight with different mounting points will be needed with this particular setup.

The OEM headlight "hangs" on two rubber grommet mounts that bolt to the bottom of the top triple. These are the two mounts that I re-purposed to support the instrument cluster. I used an M8 bolt to mount the bracket to these mounts with a washer and nut on the bottom. Brackets were formed from 1" x 1/8" aluminum stock.

This is what it looks like after you take off the headlight (the left mount is removed but you get the idea)

Early mock up...

To secure the cluster to the brackets I used the factory mounting screws - there are 4. I forget their size - just measure yours. I drilled 2 holes in the bracket to snugly fit these screws - it will take some patience trimming, filing, and sanding to get these brackets to fit perfectly with the cluster cover on. Take your time here.

I only used the top two mounting screws to secure the cluster not all 4 factory screws as you can see. The cluster is very secure with just these two - It doesn't bounce or vibrate any more than stock. Since the cluster is mounted directly on the factory rubber grommets it provides the cluster some vibration and shock resistance which is nice.

Everything was sanded, polished, then coated black prior to final fitment...

Great work man. I am planning to get a 2014 1200s will try this for sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bumping a very very old thread here, but does anyone have any of the pictures linked in here? The seem not allowed to be seen any longer...

I have got myself a new headlight to my '09 1100s (aftermarket, custom made) which does then of course does not allow the old OEM instrument panel mount from the old headlight (the on in casted alu). Have found the Motodemic Instrument Panel Mount, which seems like the only one on the market that could be used as plug and play. But thinking of doing it in another way (less $).

So, any hints of how to fix the instrument panel in the top triple (don't have the stock triple, but same mounting pattern + steel spring/rubber fixing one that goes with the OEM headlight).

Thanks for feedback! And, my first post in the forum.

Greetings from Sweden (@ducmonster1100s)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts