Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi There,
I think that the 796 has only one spring and one damper unit fitted in one fork leg! The other is empty. The amount of oil in each leg is different as one uses damping and lubrication and the other just has it for lubrication. I don't know this from personal expierience just from looking at the parts book and the exploded diagrams. Anyone strip one and can confirm this??

·
Registered
102 Posts
From the parts catalogue (available for download from ducati.com) it appears that all the "guts" (damping, spring) are in the right hand fork leg. I imagine that adjustment for damping could be made by using thicker or thinner oil in the right hand leg. Incidently the only leg with a drain screw. Adustment for compression by changing the spring for a stronger or lighter one, if they are available.
The more I find out about these motorcycles (Ducati's) the more they seem advanced technically than the opposition. It beats me why some people on this forum want to change OEM Ducati parts for cheap chinese replacements.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
... It beats me why some people on this forum want to change OEM Ducati parts for cheap chinese replacements.
I think I can safely say that none of us want to replace anything on our bikes with "cheap Chinese replacements". Also to consider, not everything the Chinese make are cheap replacements either.

The issue is that many of us are scratching our heads at why Ducati has determined that SOME of their bikes don't need adjustable front suspension, for example, my current 796 (and my older 620).

For the illustrious brand and significant price, I for one, would expect such a standard feature to be included. And yet, I love Monster's so much, I buy them anyway w/out this feature.

Of course I will be switching fork oil first, see if that brings the feel to where I want it, and if that doesn't work, then I'll try new guts, and if that doesn't achieve what I'm looking for, then I, like many others here, will do what's necessary to correct this issue to suit my needs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think I can safely say that none of us want to replace anything on our bikes with "cheap Chinese replacements". Also to consider, not everything the Chinese make are cheap replacements either.

The issue is that many of us are scratching our heads at why Ducati has determined that SOME of their bikes don't need adjustable front suspension, for example, my current 796 (and my older 620).

For the illustrious brand and significant price, I for one, would expect such a standard feature to be included. And yet, I love Monster's so much, I buy them anyway w/out this feature.

Of course I will be switching fork oil first, see if that brings the feel to where I want it, and if that doesn't work, then I'll try new guts, and if that doesn't achieve what I'm looking for, then I, like many others here, will do what's necessary to correct this issue to suit my needs.
You have a valid point. This is the exact reason why I go for premium parts when modding my Duc. If I purchased any ol motorcycle to begin with, then it wouldn't matter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are 2 springs one in each leg, they each have a spacer of different length to suit the internals. The Racetech springs come with an aluminium tube that has to be cut to the correct lengths to suit the preload, there are also some flat washer type spacers to go between the tube and the springs so that the springs have a broad surface to sit on.
The original Ducati spacers are made of a lightweight resin material.
You have to follow the instruction sheet carefully to to set it up correctly.
To reiterate this mod has transformed my bike. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello Red 795
Are you talking about a Ducati 795? I and the original poster are talking about the 796 which is a totally different machine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes 795, it has the exact same Marzocchi 43U front forks as the 796.
It has double sided rear swing arm and slightly lower seat,otherwise it is very similar to the 796. Made for Asian market.
I hit some potholes hard today that would have previously bent the front rims i'm sure, the new springs did their job! :)

·
Premium Member
125 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yes 795, it has the exact same Marzocchi 43U front forks as the 796.
It has double sided rear swing arm and slightly lower seat,otherwise it is very similar to the 796. Made for Asian market.
I hit some potholes hard today that would have previously bent the front rims i'm sure, the new springs did their job! :)

Don't you mean Showas ? :D
The 1100 Evo features Marzocchi forks...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I read in a review that the 796 forks are made by Kabaya???

·
Registered
102 Posts

Iv'e also seen them called Marzocchi's and Showa. Someone must know which is right?

·
Registered
61 Posts
According to the sales brochure and numerous motorcycle magazine articles they are Marzocchi 43u on the 795.
At the end of the day they are a low end fork made to a price with no adjustability apart from dismantling them and upgrading the springs and or oil.
It took me 2 bent front rims before I changed the springs and the difference is incredible, I have not had even one bottom out since installing them although a cable tie on the leg shows me that I have come within 1/2" of bottoming.
Riding on 3rd world roads potholes are a fact of life and you can not always avoid them especially when riding fast.
A little bit off topic the bike is booked in for it's 24000 km service tomorrow, (it's actually nudging 25000 km), it's 20 months old and has been very reliable, I have gone through 2 sets of tyres, 2 sets front pads, 3 sets of rear pads, and oddly enough 3 front sprocket retainer plates which tend to wear.
The only real bug-bear has been the too soft front springs.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry to resurrect the thread - but to clear the confusion...

by 2014 ducati quietly changed the 796 forks to kayaba. Referencing the Ducati Omaha parts catalogues shows this is a different design to the previous showa 696 or marzocchi 796 forks.

the prior forks indeed had one cartridge in one leg and just a spring and seals in the other.

the new kayabas - probably the same or similar fitted to the new 821, appear to be symmetrical in design - i.e parts exploded diagram on one fork leg only as per 1100.

it appears ducati quietly upgraded this for the 796 only (696 remains the same) - but there has been little press about since it's now already a superseded model

·
Registered
37 Posts
I realize this is a super old thread, but just to add a data point my 2011 796 has Marzocchis as denoted by the embossed M at the bottom of the forks. This came up as I've been researching fork and rear suspension upgrades. I'm not entirely unsatisfied with my stock stuff, but that might be because I weigh only 148lbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
我是一個台灣 MONSTER 796騎士,對於這台車前避震器的討論真的非常少,幾乎不外乎跟你說直接裝MONSTER1100S的避震不然就是Andreani套件,不過我最近還是嘗試了從換FORK OIL開始,從原廠的7.5W換成15W的OIL去嘗試,或許是原廠下來的油量不足導致當初避震器做動的行程有點過低,後來加的油量沒記錯左邊450CC,右邊約500CC,但是依然無法解決我在過右彎時遇到路面不平整時避震器帶來的晃動導致我容易害怕

21 - 40 of 43 Posts