Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread on the main forum, but didn't get much traction.

Anyway, I have to say that while I love my 796, I am not at all impressed with the front suspension. This is clearly where Ducati saved money on the 796, and it is annoying me.

I have taken the bike to the local guru to get it set up, and basically he told me that other than adjusting the rear, there wasn't much that could be done to fix it. He could pull the front forks and re valve and re spring them to my weight and riding style, but if what he put in there was even slightly wrong (and its a guessing game the first go 'round), that it would all have to be pulled and re done since the forks are non adjustable.

I guess I see this as hands down bike's the biggest weakness, and didn't really consider how much of a disadvantage it would be when I bought it. Not that I would for sure not have bought it, but I would certainly have given more thought to the 1100s or a super bike.

Any help from anyone on how to remedy this? I wish I was a metal fabricator and could swap out some super bike forks on it. Or that Ohlins or some one made adjustable forks for it.

And, I really feel bad for any one over about 175lbs who wants to ride this thing even a little aggressively.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yea. I'm 210 lbs and encountering the same issues with my 696 (same fork).

Considering all options. respring what I have, or buy something adjustable, which will then also need to be resprung as well...

:/

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. Totally a bummer. I wish someone had a plug and play solution, but since the bikes are so new (and apparently demand is not there), no one does.

And I am worried about the re spring option because if I sell it or give it to my wife, it will likely have to be redone, since it will still be non adjustable.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The plug and play solution is to replace your stock forks with fully adjustable Mazzorchi forks from an 1100 EVO.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yea, that's the plug-and-play solution, but also the impossible-to-find-used-and-grossly-expensive-to-purchase-new solution.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Because of the funky design*, these forks can't be easily tweaked like 'normal' forks.
There is a place that will machine the forks to accept new adjustable cartridges. You may need to search the forum for "696 forks" to see the big thread about it. The gist of it is... not cheap. Finding 1100 forks would be faster and easier, and may be about the same money.

*compression is in one leg, rebound in the other

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. All good stuff here.

Seriously thinking about the 1100S forks due to ease and relatively similar cost to the other options. Plus, I could remove them and resell if I were to sell the bike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
One more question, just to make sure I am clear...

Both the 1100 and 1100S forks are a direct swap to the 796 ABS, yes? (Note: Do you have to find 1100(s) ABS forks to fit an ABS 796 or no?)

And both are fully adjustable, only the 1100 are Mazzorchi and the 1100S are Ohlins, yes?

If both are correct, I will begin my search for one of the two forks sets, and will post up once I get them and do the conversion.

Thanks for help with all the questions guys! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
117 Posts
All 1100 forks are a direct swap. The 1100 pre-EVO had Showa forks, and of course the 1100S had Ohlins (never yet seen a pair used for sale). The EVO has Marzocchi's. No difference between ABS or not. I have the Showas from an '09 on mine, and for track days, the difference is huge.

I've seen a few 1100 forks come up for sale here and there. Average prices seem to be around $800, vs probably about $1200 for something like a GP cartridge kit, but the pro is that you can unbolt and resell easily when selling the bike, and likely get all your money back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A much simpler option to a fork swap might be swapping out the stock fork springs for stiffer springs and adding a heavier fork oil. I'm 250 lbs and was also not happy with the front forks of my 2011 796 ABS. A few months after I bought the bike, my shop, Pro Italia in Glendale, CA, had a suspension clinic given by Catalyst Reaction, a suspension tuning company. For $40.00 they would tune your bike to your weight. While they were able to tune the rear shock, they obviously couldn't do anything for the front end. But they suggested stiffer springs and heavier fork oil. They even gave me the stiffness measurement for springs that would suit my weight. I swapped out the springs on my stock forks and changed to 10 wt. fork oil. The bike's front end changed dramatically, much better under breaking, no hobby-horsing on the freeway or under breaking and giving a much more confident front end feel generally. The ride was definitely smoother and firmer (in a good way). The cost for parts and labor was about $375.00 for everything. This had been the best mod I have made to the bike to date. See if you can find a suspension guy in your area or ask your shop if they know of anybody that could help with a tune.

Reactions: U-c Jin

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 795 which has the same Marzocchi 43U upside down forks as the 796, I am about 250 lbs and find that it bottoms out too easily on bumps so I am looking at installing a set of Racetech springs with a higher compression rate.
I am not sure what the compression rate of the standard springs is but I think that it may be about 0.75kg/mm.
Racetech do springs ranging from 0.85 up to 1.20kg/mm.
I am considering going about mid range and trying the 1.00kg/mm springs.
I believe that the Racetech part number for these springs is FRSPS3732100, the last 3 digits representing the compression rate.
If anyone has already tried these springs I would appreciate your feedback.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
To resurrect a sleeping post... just picked up a '13 796ABS and while reading the manual, was excited to see that it said I had adjustable forks! Only to run out to the garage, look at what's actually on the bike and nope, she sure doesn't. It'd be nice is Ducati would take the time to make sure their manuals actually matched the bike specs it's referring to :(

Anyway - great thread, definitely looking to upgrade my forks too at some point, lots of good ideas to start researching.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You can adjust the rear shock, if that's any consolation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Keep an eye on the auction sites bought a set of 1100evo forks straight swap. Prior to this I was going to have company fit the adjustable cartridges

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
You can adjust the rear shock, if that's any consolation.
Yeah, it is, but still, come on Ducati - you can do better than this!

Will look into a swap-out option, seems to make the most sense (for me).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts