Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend jessie has an '02 750 that she bought with questionable service records. It was running very well and then all of a sudden it started to sputter. It is very smooth while its in neutral through out the whole RPM range. Once it gets put in gear and I get goin it sputters between 2k and 4k. it feels as though the fuel filter could be getting clogged or the fuel pump is going out. Anybody have any ideas?? I ran each cylinder on their own and its both.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
It could be either of the two things you mention, or maybe water in the gas. Does it do it just between 2-4K? Will it rev higher? Can you run it at WOT?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its probably not water in the gas due to the fact this started in the middle of the tank. It only does it in the lower RPM range but once above that its fine. WOT is no problem in neutral but in gear it still sputters a little bit. Thanks maybe we'll just run it and put new gas in it. By the way does anyone know where the fuel oump/filter are located? Off the top of my head I can't remember but I'm sure if I look for it I'll find it in no time.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The filter and pump are in the tank and the filter should be changed anyway since it is a maintenance item and the records are questionable. When you say the records are sketchy does that mean you don't know when the belts were changed and the valves were adjusted? If that is the case, consider a full 12K service.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Have you looked at the plugs to see if there is any indication of it running rich?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
ducpainter said:
Have you looked at the plugs to see if there is any indication of it running rich?
I was thinking that too, and I was gonna suggest needle jets, but I'm _pretty_ sure the '02 750s are injected...

+1 on Howies suggestion of doing a proper 12k service if you're not _sure_ it's been done...

big

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
bigiain said:
I was thinking that too, and I was gonna suggest needle jets, but I'm _pretty_ sure the '02 750s are injected...

+1 on Howies suggestion of doing a proper 12k service if you're not _sure_ it's been done...

big
I believe you're right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts