Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and looked at a 97 750 today, it looks great, the guy said i could get it for 3800, it has 9200 miles on it. There are also two 900's im looking at. My question is anyone of the opinion that i might get bored with the 750 and regret not getting a 900? any opinions would be great, thanks

matt

R

·
0 Posts
Well I am of course prejudiced owning a 900, but I do like the 750 and 620 bikes a lot myself. I find them revvy compared to the lumpier 900,
but I also want to throw in a 944kit which I can't do with a 750.
I don't think you would get bored unless hp is the defining factor for you.
Coming from having a 900 and riding 750's and 620's I have throughly enjoyed riding them both, and have followed many 750's and 620's haulin' booty down the road. So I don't think you would get bored really, but the 900 gives you the option to reach for more hp in a great road proven kit.

H

·
0 Posts
No substitute for displacement. You don't always have to use it, but I'll bet f you don't have it, you'll wish you did. Things that make you go, hmmm. ;D

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm content with the power of my 750. The extra power would be nice (to a point - 180hp R1? No thank you), but not required. When riding "The Pace" power is not as important. What does does get me thinking about upgrading is the lack of adjustable suspension.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys, i just got in from riding my dads harley, i love it but cant wait for a duck. soooon i hope, iamic, what year is your 750 and what do you mean by lack of suspension adjustment?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I love my 750. Given what I intend to do with riding, which is to enjoy the canyons and coasts of northern California, I don't expect I'll be needing anything larger. When I've gone out to ride with other Monsters I've come back convinced that my 750 has as much power and torque as I'll need for a long time to come. I'll be keepin' this one! ;)

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
If this is not your first bike, a 900. Besides power they also have better specs, like dual disc brakes, and depending on year, aluminum swingarms and adjustable suspension.

That said, I have no plans of replacing my 750 any time soon.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My 750 is a 2002. It does not have any adjustment for damping. Mine does have dual disks though.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The 1997 M750 was the only year that they came in silver. I would get that one if it were up to me because it's sort of a classic.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If this is not your first bike, a 900. Besides power they also have better specs, like dual disc brakes, and depending on year, aluminum swingarms and adjustable suspension.

That said, I have no plans of replacing my 750 any time soon.
My '02 750S has dual disc brakes, aluminum swingarm, and is fuel injected. It's bad ass, I must say. 8)
Non adjustable forks though.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I would love a 97 silver. The most beautiful Monster ever made.

The 2002 750's are a lot nicer than what they used to be, but the thread is about older ones. BTW, the difference wasn't only with adjustability, but also getting Marzocchi vs. Showa forks.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
We have a 01 M900Sie and a 97 M750 in the garage (gloat, gloat) and my wife will take her 750 over my 900 every time.

likes the way it makes power better (she can get on the gas sooner coming out of corners), and lighter weight and quicker turning.
cheating a little cuz she has mag wheels on it.
(and some other stuff: http://www.ducatimonster.org/featured/2003june/featured_june.html)

I usually pick the 900...but im compensating. :p

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the info, i love the way the 97 looks, but i have the opportunity to buy a newer bike for around a comparable price. theres a couple 2000 900's that im lookin at. so hopefully soon, i have most of the work done on my truck so i think im gonna keep it and spend the extra money on a bike. hopefully soon.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Get the Silver 750 dude. That Monster is beautiful. If you need more power any time in the near future I am sure Dad and Jim can brew something up and we'll turn the wrenches. Plus it will match your truck!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm here to help, and the price is right. I think you'll love that bike. Also, if you save some cash on the initial purchase, and/or lower payments you will have more money to do things on the bike you want, instead of just getting by. And like everyone said, that is the only year Ducati made that bike, you'd be super renegade. Why do you think I drive that old Silver Anniversary Bronco, how many of those ugly things have you seen besides my faded Beast, two maybe.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, were gonna have to get down there and give that thing a once over, im ready for it after watchin you and sammy tear it up last night

·
Registered
684 Posts
The '97 silver monster was the first I came across when researching buying a monster online. I was disappointed to learn it was only made that year. That would definitely be a cool bike to own, IMO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts