Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the stock shock from a 2000 748 will fit a 2002 620? I know from the archives that the adj. tie rod will fit, but haven't heard anythign about whether the shock will fit. I'd rather have the S4 stock shock, but haven't been able to find one ...
thanks,
=mike

R

·
0 Posts
I believe the links and length to be the same.
I would assume the springs and stroke to be different,
between the SBK's and Monster's; which may or may not adversely affect handling. ?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. That is an intersting article (especially when bablefished...). He put a 748 shock on his S4. Says the 748's showa is tons better than the sachs on the S4, even when you invert the Showa b/c of its piggyback tank. Seems kind of surprising to me, but I haven't ridden either bike, so what do I know.

All I know is either option has to be better than my stock shock. I'd even have this one rebuilt if I could find someone that has done it! No one seems to know the facts as to whether the stock sachs can be revalved. I've got calls into sachs NA to try and get some technical info that Ractech and others can use to tell me if their valves will fit, we'll see.
thanks again,
mike

W

·
0 Posts
As soon as I get my hands on a 748 shock I plan to do it myself ;D I'll keep you guys informed ...

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I've been following this thread with interest (although no knowledge). I have a stock 9*6 Showa that you can have for $60 and/or an Ohlins for $405 if anybody wants to try this. If it doesn't work for any reason, just send 'em back & I'll refund your money. It would sure benefit a lot of people if they could upgrade suspension by tapping into the vast 9*6 sources.

R

·
0 Posts
I went to Ohlins site for replacement shocks for st framed monsters two come up both 305mm length, and 66mm stroke,
for 748 mono posto, length 305 71mm stroke.....bi posto, 76mm stroke.?

·
Registered
455 Posts
This guy says it fits, in german...
He says he had to invert it to make it fit (at least I think that's what he's saying). So in other words, the end of the shock with the resevoir attached should be at the bottom, bolted to the swingarm? But in the picture on his webpage, it does not look to be mounted this way - I'm confused.

W

·
0 Posts
inverted sideways ... reservoir mounted to the right side instead of left side ;)
anyway, sent him a mail for some more pictures 8)

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I've been thinking about mounting the reservoir on the left side sub-frame, seeing it was all clean of wires. But then I figured the reason why there's nothing there is the rear cylinder exhaust outlet. Not sure I'd put a reservoir in that area.

W

·
0 Posts
I've been thinking about mounting the reservoir on the left side sub-frame, seeing it was all clean of wires. But then I figured the reason why there's nothing there is the rear cylinder exhaust outlet. Not sure I'd put a reservoir in that area.
The german guy said it has to be mounted on the right side since it doesn't fit on the left. So no issues at all concerning exhaustpipe-heat etc ...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WoKe,

I don't get it.

W

·
0 Posts
Sent him an email asking where it has to be, and some more info bout the first pic. Maybe this was his first try-out or something, since he did not include the picture in the article.

W

·
0 Posts
And I got some answers ;D

The reservoir has to be mounted to the left side of the bike (same as on a 748/916/...). There is enough space between the exhaustpipe and the reservoir, and he never had any problems with heat radiating onto the reservoir. I guess there is also enough airflow to disperse the heat anyway. So following picture is correct. I bought a used 996 Showa shock and it should arrive next week, so more pictures when I installed it.

WoKe

W

·
0 Posts
Still planning on doing it. Already got the shock, had the spring powdercoated. just need to find the time to install it on my bike. Will post it when done :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I received my 750R showa shock last week. from the online data at racetech, it looks like the spring rate on that shock should close enough for me and my 620 so I don't have to swap out springs. If it warms up in the garage, I'll mount it and take some pics. I also picked up an adjustable tie rod with the shock -- total was $80 on ebay. Shock has under 300 miles and looks all but brand new. Keep your fingers crossed.

By the way, the guys at Racetech also told me that they can rebuild anything that has a schrader (bicycle tire type) valve on it for gas charging. Can't tell if the stock sachs does or not. Either way, the Showa is a much better shock with compr and rebound adjustability - so its worth the swap to me. Once I ride it around for a bit to get a feel for the current set up, I'll probably send to racetech for revalving. They were very confident that they could put together a valve that would make the 748 shock a superior replacement for this bike. Knock on wood, but I think we've found a B+ shock for the newer monsters at the under $300 price point, fully rebuilt. not bad..
mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts