Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo..
Gots me a 99' m750. :p I may be able to get my mits on a some 748 SBK forks....

I would love to ditch my non-adjustable stock dealies.

Would love to upgrade my macheen with them...anybody have any experience with this?...I know I would need a new top triple clamp, what about the bottom clamp?...would I need a new wheel and brakes, axle ???? or ???...

any input would be most appreciated.

thanx

S

·
0 Posts
depends...
what year 748 are the ones you're looking at from?
the question really has to do with if your current forks and these forks have the same spacing for the caliper mounts. sometime in '99, ducati switch from 40mm spacing for the caliper mounts to 65mm's. it doesn't matter which they are, so long as they're the same.
also, you'll want to check if your front axle is 25mm's or not. how to tell? if it's hollow, it's the 25mm version and you're good to go in that department.
finally, for the yokes, you can bore your current top one and shim your current bottom one, but some folks have reported cracking from boring the top. there apparently isn't an awful lot of meat there (this is just anectotal, i have no personal experience here). if that's a concern for you, check out this kit from cyclecat available at motowheels.com (the item description's got some info too):

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=123|Ducati Suspension&productID=748&showDetail=1&categoryID=126|Ducati Monster Suspensions&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168|Italian Motorcycle Parts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Strati...the link helped...
I am not sure of the year of the 748 SBK shocks..but I believe them to be very low mileage forks...so, somewhat newer year I would suppose...

guess I would need 25mm axle and 65mm calipers and a new wheel...hmm...guess I should start savin up :eek:..heh...

Also s4strati....I got my stock cans off of my 1999 M750..any ideas what i should do with them? I have Staintunes on right now, and they sound great!...the stockies are in my girlfriends trunk...hmmm

L8

S

·
0 Posts
hey, if you are interested, I'm selling my monster fully adjustable showas for $700. Just serviced by LE too !! (that ran me $500)

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey, if you are interested, I'm selling my monster fully adjustable showas for $700.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I had a superbike wheel n my 99 M900. I had a spacer there instead of a speedo drive, and spacers on the brake calipers, until I found a marchesini front wheel for a Monster.
I am sure that would work the other way as well until you get the coin for a new wheel and calipers. There was a change in 99 in the middle of the year, so ya may get lucky. Strati is right on with his info on axle diameter and caliper bolt spacing

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
might want to check the length of the forks that you are replacing.

if there's a difference, it will change the handling characteristics.
Had installed some adj. forks (1" shorter) on my dark and it made the front end more twitchy. noticeable difference.

faster turn in but more possibility of the front wheel dropping down on you faster. a correctly set-up stock suspension (both OEM front and rear, with the exception of the sachs rear... i'd switch it out to an ohlins) is much better than an adjustable one that's not valved to your weight/ride style.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts