Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to either replace or add to my collection of Ducati by purchasing a 748.
I have found several through ebay and my local dealers and clearly they range in price, year and condition. I don't have the $ for the purchase, so I'll finance. This also means I do not have the funds to purchase a 748 for $10-$11k.
From time to time a 748 pops up from 1997-1998 and they run for about $5-$7k depending on condition and milage.
I'm looking for something that's stock or as close to stock as possible.
*Are the 1997's identical to the 2002's? (am I prone to more problems having purchased a 'trouble year' basically).
*Is there anything in particular I should look out for?
*I know there was some coating on the valves that chipped off on older models. Which years were those and is it something I relaly need to consider?
*Is there a particular year or version/options that shined in comparison to others?
*How should I handle a long-distance purchase? Should I hire a local shop to meet me at the sellers address, or are there basic things I can do to come out with a good decision.
*Should anything like compression/pulling parts off the bike/testing be done?
Any and all info/experience/rumors/knowledge is greatly appreciated. I want to make the right decision on the right bike and who better to ask than you hooligans.
Thanks,
Tarik

·
Registered
584 Posts
No info, but I'd like to know, too. Here's a bump ...
dion

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rev-
Thanks for the all the info. You have some excellent points to make-particularly about overall condition and maintenance. I guess the old saying holds 'you get what you pay for' -especially in the case of a 748.
Maybe the best thing to do is exactly what you said, find a Ducati enthusiast, one who has addressed or fixed known problems/issues. I would imagine someone who went to great lengths to maintain a 748 in tip-top form will also most likely be asking top dollar for the bike. It makes sense.
I'll look a little further in to the valve rocker problem and get a grasp on what's involved in repairing or replacing them.
Is this problem that simply rears it's head on every 748, or is it a hit/miss thing? Is there something, like abusive riding/engine abuse, that accelerates the problem?
Again, thanks for the info...
Just out of curiosity, this is one of the $6000-$6500 bikes I had in mind. I know it's hard to tell...but your opinions are welcome.
Thanks - Tarik
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2439000341&category=49990

1 - 5 of 5 Posts