Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I didn't get much riding in this year (700mi) - would it be better to change the oil now before winterizing or when pulling it back out in the spring? I'd hate to do both ($$$), so I guess the question is what's worse - oil with 700 miles on it in all winter or running it next year with oil that's been sitting in it all winter (does clean oil age like gas does)?

Also, any point in replacing the filter? I wouldn't think so.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Bruce Meyers of BCM fame always recommends changing oil and filter in the fall before storage. Add fuel stabilizer, warm the bike up with a ride, fog the cyls, shut it off, drain the oil and don't start it till spring. You might as well clean and lube the chain too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's never a great idea to leave oil that has been run for any length of time in a bike over a period of activity. Combustion byproducts and other nastiness can corrode cases and other aluminum parts. I'd follow the method above, except I'd refil w. fresh oil, adn start th ebike, and let it run for maybe 30 seconds...just enough to get oil on everything. This time can also be used to distsribute the fuel stabilizer throughout the system.

One thing I've always done is every few weeks or so I like to start the bikes and let them get fully hot. The only reason for this is to boil out any water in the motor that's there as the result of condensation. I have to say that I have no idea if this is a good idea or not...it occured to me one day and seemed proper, so that's what I do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts