Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening guys,

I'm currently in the process of looking for a good and trustworthy place to get my Ducati Monster 796 Valve Adjustment Maintenance done in the New York City or Long Island area. I'm currently in talks with Ducati Triumph NYC and they are charging a ridiculous amount. They are estimating roughly $1,300. Is this the ideal amount? It just seems way too much.

Below is the list of what needs to be done. The parts are under $200, while the labor is over $1,100. Any help or advice would be very helpful. Thank you.

Description:
CHECK FOR FAULT CODES
CHECK FOR UPDATES
CHANGE OIL/FILTER
CHECK/ADJUST VALVE CLEARANCES
CHECK TIMING BELT TENSION
CHECK/CLEAN AIR FILTER
CHECK BRAKE AND CLUTCH FLUIDS
ADJUST BRAKE AND CLUTCH CONTROLS
CHECK BRAKE PAD AND ROTOR WEAR
CHECK CLUTCH PLATES PACK
CHECK TIGHTENING OF SAFETY COMPONENTS
CHECK DRIVE CHAIN AND TENSION AND LUBRICATION
CHECK CHAIN AND SPROCKETS FOR WEAR
VISUAL CHECK FORK SEALS AND REAR SHOCK SEAL
CHECK CABLE AND WIRE ROUTING
CHECK COOLANT LEVEL
CHECK TIRE PRESSURE AND WEAR
CHECK ELECTRICAL FAN OPERATION
CHECK BATTERY CHARGE LEVEL
CHECK THROTTLE BODY SYNCHRONIZATION
CHECK OPERATION OF SAFETY DEVICES
CHECK LIGHTING AND INDICATORS
RESET SERVICE LIGHT
ROAD TEST

Parts
78-9864 1.00 MAXUM 4 SYN EXTRA 15W50 128 $61.95 $0.00 $61.95
44440035A 1.00 OIL CARTRIDGE 900 M-996 B/03 $18.13 $0.00 $18.13
85250421A 1.00 WASHER 12,2X18X1,5 1098/08 $3.00 $0.00 $3.00
73740242A 1.00 CINGHIA Z=70 HDT2 GD161 $65.99 $0.00 $65.99
88641381A 4.00 O-RING 63.13X2.62 HYM/08-696 M $6.99 $0.00 $27.96
3703-0019 1.00 BRAKE FLUID DOT 4 12OZ $8.99 $0.00 $8.99

·
Super Moderator
3,592 Posts
Ask them how much of a discount can you get if they don't bother checking your engine coolant level.

Sounds extremely high to me. That's the price I've been quoted for having both belts replaced, an oil change, and all 8 valves shimmed on my S4RS. I was also told the price would drop per valve that did not need to be shimmed. So that was the maximum price.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ducati Triumph NYC is notorious for being overpriced, I'd start knocking things off that list (i.e. change oil/filter yourself, check tires yourself, etc.) and try again, or go elsewhere. I'm not at 7500 yet but I definitely wouldn't pay $1300.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Might be a little far for you, but I believe Hudson Valley does it for around $750. You can also try Speed Motorcycles uptown. Supposedly they get great reviews and their shop price is reasonable. I believe there's a place in Massapequa that quoted me $750 as well.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
The 7,500 mile service on my 796 set me back $675 at Ducati of Santa Barbara. That included changing both the brake and clutch fluid, new air filter, not just checking them, in addition to oil and filter, valve adjust, etc.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Maybe they thought your bikes a 4 valve...i know new yorks an expensive place to live...but that sounds a little high for an air cooled 2 valve job...

·
Registered
37 Posts
When exactly does this "7500" mile servicing light show up on M796. I know it says 7500, and I am at 7400 miles right now and have to travel about a 100 miles to get the service done. So was thinking should I take it right now and by the time I am at the service center it should reach 7500 or does the service light show up after 7500 like 7600 miles etc etc

·
Registered
116 Posts
When exactly does this "7500" mile servicing light show up on M796. I know it says 7500, and I am at 7400 miles right now and have to travel about a 100 miles to get the service done. So was thinking should I take it right now and by the time I am at the service center it should reach 7500 or does the service light show up after 7500 like 7600 miles etc etc
You'll be fine if its a bit over. Your bike isn't going to explode once its over 7500 miles. lolz

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd honestly say, with service manual, basic tools and knowledge you can really do most -if not all- of these yourself, and you will have better understand and pride of your machine
Those aircooled 2V are extremely easy to work on:
-Valve check is really basic and easy even for a first timer in this engine, just remove oil cap (where you add oil), both spark plugs, put on stand on 6th gear, pop the valve caps and there you go!
-Checking/changing the belts is an easy job as well
-Resetting the service light is easy (look it up on youtube)
-clutch pack dont need to be checked on a wet clutch engine like yours anywhere before 30,000mi (my 2000 Honda VFR with 65,000km = 41,000mi still running on original clutch within spec) only dry clutch models wear faster
-checking/replacing oil, spark plugs, air filter, brakes and fluids is pretty easy
Just take your time, dont rush and do it yourself and you will have better understand of your machine and will give you visual memory to inspect/notice anything going wrong over time
Dont listen to the crap about "these desmodromic engines are so much mor complicated than japanese bikes" thats all crap and they (specially air cooled 2v monsters) are very simple and way easier to work on than japs
Im saying that from personal experience comparing my S2R1000 to my other jap bike (Honda VFR) and all other bikes i've owned or worked on

·
Registered
64 Posts
My tech told me to not even bother with valves until the 15k. He said belts and oil will be just fine. YMMV of course.
Did you just say you're not going to replace your oil until 15K? Wanna give us an update on how your monster is doing today?
I didn't come here just to be pesky ;) I just got my 7500 done at 7900, the "wrench" came on at 7434. All valve shims were in spec, but one was borderline, so he replaced that. I replaced the oil at 4,500 because it doesn't feel right not to, and the tech at motoprimo south of minneapolis did one, and I'm in the future going to do changes every 3500-4000 because of the huge gas mileage difference it made. I went from pulling 44 highway before my oil change to 52 highway. Anyway, Motoprimo was very good, valve service plus parts was $604, and the tech was amazing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did you just say you're not going to replace your oil until 15K? Wanna give us an update on how your monster is doing today?
I didn't come here just to be pesky ;) I just got my 7500 done at 7900, the "wrench" came on at 7434. All valve shims were in spec, but one was borderline, so he replaced that. I replaced the oil at 4,500 because it doesn't feel right not to, and the tech at motoprimo south of minneapolis did one, and I'm in the future going to do changes every 3500-4000 because of the huge gas mileage difference it made. I went from pulling 44 highway before my oil change to 52 highway. Anyway, Motoprimo was very good, valve service plus parts was $604, and the tech was amazing.
Hah, no. What I meant was that he said I'd would be fine with just changing belts and oil regularly until 15k.

Still not there yet, only at 10k with no issues. Most of my miles are on my Panigale these days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm looking at a quote for about the same price here in Seattle. We used to have 2 dealers but Ducati Seattle bought Ducati Bellevue and the shop rate went to $140.00/hour immediately.

Everything's expensive here.

I've ordered LT Snyder's book from desmotimes.com. A lot of this you can learn to do yourself with some patience and care.

Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Check with Rockwell Cycles in Ft. Montgomery NY. Not sure what they charge for that service but they have been honest with me and they have skilled mechanics. Plus, it's a nice ride to get there!!

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
I just got a "7500-mile" service on my M900 at Moto Europa in St. Louis. I had skipped the annual maintenance check last year for various reasons, so it was well overdue. I generally don't go exactly by miles, but have it done once a year (usually in September), with the belts done every two years. For me, that ends up being usually about 11K to 12K between services, although it can be as much as 20K if it's been a big year. Oil changes at 5K to 6K, so typically twice a year, three times in a big year.

It came to about $1000 ($400 parts, $600 labor), including having the belts changed (overdue at 3 years, 33K miles), and all the valves needed adjustment (18K since last check). It also needed new front brake disks, a new battery, and the steering head bearings tightened -- these were outside of the charge for the 7500-mile service. It practically runs like new again, and I'm very satisfied.

PhilB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine showed up at 7500. It would go off and then come on again. I'm at 8,100 and learning the bike. I figure I should learn to do take care of the basics myself. Right now I'm figuring out how to remove the tank to get the battery. Seems like 4 crazy bolts to try and get. I hope someone can offer advice. Haven't found a YouTube on it yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts