Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 S4

So...exactly how important is it to get the services done? I missed the 600 mile service, but I changed the oil. Now I am approaching 6k and am hunting the money for the service. Does everybody get this done?

Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: 6k mile service.

You should check the tolerances yourself and have the shims change if they need to but unless you rode hard you will not have to. This is a concern for performance mainly, you can ride your bike until you feel you're loosing perfomance. Nothing close to doing any damage. I did my valves at 8k and they were fine, and the bike was still performing the same. There is great chance the mechanic won't change ****, he will perform a tolerance check only which will take probably 2 hours and charge you for a whole thing. Bunch of thieves as always.

Now Changing the oil regularly is more important I think.

+

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

since you made it to 6K, i see no problem. the 600 mile service is an oil change and a bunch of checks:

timing belt tension
charging rate
nothing is falling off the bike or leaking
general tune

create a log for your 600 mile service with reciepts for the oil, filter and crush washers.

·
Registered
31 Posts

oh yeah I don't know why I jumped on the valves thing even though you were asking for the whole service thing.

I was traumatized by my first valve adjustment I guess ::)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

How much does it usually cost? I get my 600 and 6000 free. But the 6000 I have to do it within a year.

·
Registered
31 Posts

If I remember correctly it was about $400+tax for the 1st 6k and a bit more for the followings. Needless to say it's worth learning how to do it yourself if you plan on keeping the bike. Plus it's fun and great to know exactly what's going on in there.

Now if you make $80k/year why even bother getting your hands dirty?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

well i'd say get the 6k check done one way or another... since you got the fruity four valver i'd be concerned about flakey rockers based on my experience... i had 6 rockers (4 openers and 2 closers) and both cams replaced in the rear cylinder at my 6k mark. you're probably looking at 450 +/- for the 6k service, plus the parts and labor for the busted stuff is free under warranty.

if you feel up to it you can try doing it yourself... but i'm of the opinion that while it's under warranty then ducati can pay for the parts. after it becomes my headache i'll spring for the megacycle rockers, until then ducati can put in freebies. i do all maintenance on my 900ss but it don't eat cams and rockers either.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks guys. I don't know what I am going to do yet. I would really like to dump that money into a corbin seat, but who knows?

·
Registered
835 Posts

That is amazing. You'd think that if they know they have a metal prob that it would be easy to fix, presuming that they have some metallurgist working for them...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts