Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a triumph/ducati dealer tell me that the monster doesn't ride well in stop and go traffic and only performs when you rev the engine high. Any thoughts? He also was telling me air cooled bikes overheat regularly so I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

Also I've heard that the invoice price on a M696 is $7900, what do you think the best deal out there is OTD?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a triumph/ducati dealer tell me that the monster doesn't ride well in stop and go traffic and only performs when you rev the engine high. Any thoughts? He also was telling me air cooled bikes overheat regularly so I'm taking this with a grain of salt.
Monster 696 is light motorcycle, so it performs well in city traffic, 4000 rpm is enough for nice ride in any gear and i don't think that is - "reving engine high". Air cooled bikes do not overheat regularly, oil temperature will be higher in certain situation, but that's not overheating. Standing 1 hour on stop light in summer on very hot sunny day will not be good, but who does that?

·
Registered
203 Posts

Also I've heard that the invoice price on a M696 is $7900, what do you think the best deal out there is OTD?
The dealer told you half truths.

The 696 is a rev happy motor. Around town, stop and go, the stock gearing causes you to rev and ride the clutch a little. If you spend about $30 for a 14 tooth front sprocket, and labor of about $50 if you dont do it yourself, you end up with a totally different bike. Search this forum about the stock gearing and dropping a tooth in the front. It is almost mandatory. The bike comes over geared to meet strict noise regulations. It is not actually a fault of the bike or Ducati.

As far as oil cooled motors, they all have the potential to overheat if left idling for hours in intense heat. If it was really an issue, then Ducati would have added an oil cooler, which is an option if it really worries you. The design of the cylinder heat sinks are so good that you will not have a problem. There are plenty or riders in Arizona summer heat that dont have issues if that makes you feel better.

What I am curious about is what the dealership was trying to sell you instead of the 696? It is a great bike, from beginner to experienced rider. The power is adequate, unless you are a pro racer. Not that the extra power of the 1100 wouldn't be nice! If you plan on getting a bike for carving up the street, track days, light touring, and comfort, the 696 is a great choice. This bike handles so well the limiting factor will be the rider, not the bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your responses. The dealer was trying to push me towards a street triple. It's no question a great bike, but I've always wanted a monster and th styling and seat position is more comfortable for me on the ducati. For a first bike I think the monster might be a better fit.

Any ideas on how cheap I can walk OTD on a 696?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
The low-RPM shudder in 1st gear is due to a combination of the V-twin single-pin-crank layout, a light flywheel, and tall gearing (as mentioned earlier). Dropping a tooth in the front will take care of that for the most part.

No oil (or coolant) cooler works when stopped without a fan. In light of this, my 1100 has never overheated, despite spending hours in D.C. traffic on 100 degree days.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for your responses. The dealer was trying to push me towards a street triple. It's no question a great bike, but I've always wanted a monster and th styling and seat position is more comfortable for me on the ducati. For a first bike I think the monster might be a better fit.

Any ideas on how cheap I can walk OTD on a 696?
After tax, title, prep ect. I walkout out at $9K. This was my 3rd bike from this dealership and I buy lots of accessories. I felt it was a good deal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I live in PHX, AZ and it is around 110 every day from June to August and above 100 starting around May to October, never,ever,ever had a problem, with my m900 that is. Stop and go too. Your good to go man, have at it! No regrets I promise.

·
Registered
138 Posts
+1 on the gearing reduction vastly improving engine manners at city speeds
+1 on the air-cooled design not being an issue. I bought my 696 during a 100 degree heat wave and never saw the oil temp gauge go over 70% of max (though I never idled more than few minutes at a time.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Funny, I got a very similar pitch when I stopped in a Triumph dealership last year. Tried to get me on a speed triple.....

I went with the 696. It just fit me better all the way around. No problems with overheating,and it does very well around town, in traffic, and back roads. I did the 14T front and it is smooth. I'm a fairly new rider so I don't have alot to compare it to, but I am very happy with it. Everything about it just feels "right"...

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've got over 7,5000 miles on my 696 with most of it being around-town riding. The only real engine mod that I have is the Termi set-up with new ECU, exhaust, etc. I've never had a problem with the gearing or the bike overheating, although my ass does get a little hot sitting at a stoplight in the summer. Of course, what you don't like in the summer, you really appreciate in the winter. It's quite easy to stick your hands under the seat and warm them on the exhaust heat at a stoplight in the winter. Enjoy the ride, the 696 is a very nice motorbike.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No overheating worries..

I got mine in late August 08 for $8750. with $500. merch credit and setup fee waived.

May I suggest the Jese racing bar risers and the Touring seat. You'll notice more power after around 600 miles break-in on the odometer.

If you're thinking about other Ducs, many dealers have leftover GT1000s (hidden gems IMHO!).

My next stop will be some Rizoma mirrors, as the stock ones aren't very useful.

The other members are right on the overheating comments!

Good luck!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Agreed, although I try to stay out of the city. I've had several long days of 200+ miles on my 696 and never had a problem. We looked at both the 696 and Street Triple but went with the Ducati because it was the one my wife could touch the ground on. I use it as my daily commuter during the summer, and leave the really long trips up to my Fz1. Although when my wife and I take long rides, she rides the 696 and has never complained.

You can't go wrong with this bike though. Light weight (only 30 pounds heavier than my wifes Ninja 250r), short wheel base, sits low to the ground, turns on a dime, good breaks, good seating position and enough get up and go to let you really explore the engine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I live in Phoenix as well and I have had my 696 since July 08' I did have one issue with overheating in the summer in stop and go traffic. My bike went to the full 7 bars of temp. At that point I went ahead and made oil cooler kits for the 696 and have had no problem since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts