Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I'm considering purchasing a used '09 696 from a private seller. He has installed the performace package (Termi's, ECU, air box etc).

I rode the bike a few weeks ago, and notice it would pop under engine braking. The bike has 2300 miles, so it's beyond break in ; the bike was tuned at the local Ducati dealer.

I contacted the dealer and was asking why it was popping etc under engine brakin etc; they didn't really have a decent answer other than the 696's are 'not fully adjustable with just the slip ons, due to the stock headers having the O2 sensors" etc.

So...since it can't be 'fully tuned', is this popping something that will persist ?
It's a little annoying, and somewhat embarassing - althogh I don't know what it sounds like away from the bike etc. I've just never hear a Duc pop like that.
any thoughts?

Thanks all.

-Dayze

·
Registered
86 Posts
My M1100S does this sometimes. It's completely stock, including exhausts. It seems to happen when going downhill and easing off on the throttle. I mentioned it to the dealer, at my 1000km service. They didn't seem worried.

My old MINI (as in the car) did this as well. Apparently it was designed into the exhaust system to give the car character!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got the full set up on my 696 and it pops under engine brake as well. I have only had it on for about 1k miles but it doesn't seem to be any more or less than when i first put it on. I don't think it is embarrassing though just part of the bikes character. I've heard it off the bike and I don't think its that noticeable. I ride with quite a mix of riders, and most of their bikes pop about as much as my Duc. Its just my 2 cents but I wouldn't let a little popping diswade you from the bike. Besides nothing sounds as good as a Duc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's backfiring. My 696 with the full Termi kit did this a lot when I first got it installed especially when riding in the mountains around here in Denver.

I told the shop about this and they made some sort of adjustment that got rid of it.

Update: I was at the shop today picking up some parts and asked the guys what they did last year when my cans were backfiring. They said they would have either adjusted the TPS or the trim (fuel:air) settings. I didn't want to waste their time digging through my old work orders.

While the ECU isn't programmable to the extent like a PC, the techs can get in with a Ducati computer tool to make adjustments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts