1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Stunning conclusion: "Ride them and choose the one you like best"

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
No question the 1100 is superior in every way, but it costs a lot more to buy and insure, so.... no can do.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Go for 1100 otherwise you will know that there is more out there....

I am glad I bought 1100 because if I hadn't I would be be constanly thinking about it. The difference in the models is pretty big unlike the car trims. If there was no 1100 then probably I would have been a satisfied 696 or 796 owner but Ducati had to create 1100 and take our money.

If power and speed is not your thing that it 696 might work out for you. People on the road may not know the difference between 696, 796 and 1100. But anyone who looks at 1100 knows it is the Real Monster - tire width, engine grunt, swingarm, dry clutch, and the super quick acceleration are the things I can't let go.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
But the question remains: Why aren't people buying the 1100?

I chose the 696, and honestly,I'm kind of tired of having to justifying my decision. If the 796 were sitting on the showroom floor when I bought it, I may have considered it. I don't know if 8 horsepower and a single sided swing arm are worth a thousand bucks, but I would have considered it.
The 1100 just isn't my style. It wasn't a money thing, it would have only been an extra $50 a month, but, I'm not going to go to track days. I don't need blinding accelleration that you really can't use day to day on the streets. I don't need the extra maintenance expenses. The extra umph may be nice for touring, but if I did a lot of that I'd get a bike that would do a better job keeping the wind off of me. I'm also 44 now, so I'm past that age where I feel that I need to prove myself by the size of my... motor.

Personal pet peeve: All this "beginner bike" and "starter bike" stuff is a load of [email protected] I started riding 26 years ago, I'm not a beginner. I'm just a guy who decided to ride a 700cc bike.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Only thing I hate about the 796 is that they offer it "stock" in the Dark color with red frame.

It took me a long time to work out a panel swap on my M1100 so I'd have a Dark Monster with the red frame! Now mine won't be as unique... :mad:

·
Registered
25 Posts

I chose the 696, and honestly,I'm kind of tired of having to justifying my decision. If the 796 were sitting on the showroom floor when I bought it, I may have considered it. I don't know if 8 horsepower and a single sided swing arm are worth a thousand bucks, but I would have considered it.
The 1100 just isn't my style. It wasn't a money thing, it would have only been an extra $50 a month, but, I'm not going to go to track days. I don't need blinding accelleration that you really can't use day to day on the streets. I don't need the extra maintenance expenses. The extra umph may be nice for touring, but if I did a lot of that I'd get a bike that would do a better job keeping the wind off of me. I'm also 44 now, so I'm past that age where I feel that I need to prove myself by the size of my... motor.

Personal pet peeve: All this "beginner bike" and "starter bike" stuff is a load of [email protected] I started riding 26 years ago, I'm not a beginner. I'm just a guy who decided to ride a 700cc bike.
Well said. My head is spinning from all the 696 posts here and on other forums. The reality is: the 696 is a Ducati. It's priced just right. And it's fun as Hades where it matters. Sure you'll eventually question the suspension and the power. And... you'll wonder if the DP ECU/Termi kit is worth 2K, or if you should trade up for the something "bigger". BUT there are no regrets! Just ask around...

Anyone can go fast in a straight line. But the 696 shines where lines get curvy. Last weekend I passed a 1098 on the outside in the mountains. He caught up with me eventually on the straights, and did what he had to do. But not without a fight.

I'll miss this bike some day.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts

I chose the 696, and honestly,I'm kind of tired of having to justifying my decision. If the 796 were sitting on the showroom floor when I bought it, I may have considered it.
Exactly! If the 1100 was selling well they wouldn't have offered the 796. Ducati is very disappointed with 1100 sales.

I've placed an order for a 796 just because it's supposed to have a slightly more comfortable riding position. I'll give the demo a test ride next week and see if that's true.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shoes you like
Do you want to have a comfort shoes to fit your foot, please land on our website choose you fell satisfaction's product ,We supply all kinds of styles of sports wear,jeans,handbag,hat,sport shoes such as air Jordan, Nike, nike dunk, nike tn ,nike kobe, Adidas, Puma,redmonkey d so on.you can see my website! The payment we accept paypal ,Western Union and money gram.
I hope you can find you like and contact with me !

·
Registered
91 Posts
We all need to remember a few things here about the 696,796,1100 question

1. all of these bikes go from 0-60 mph in approx 4 seconds
2. all od these bikes have a top speed of around 130 mph
3. all of these bikes look really cool, exotic, sexy, etc..
4. all of these bikes corner like a fly
5. all of these bikes are Ducati

There are many different points and reasons to the 3 new Monsters, and simply looking at their engine sizes does not tell the whole story, it's a bit more complicated than that..................................

·
Registered
84 Posts
We all need to remember a few things here about the 696,796,1100 question

1. all of these bikes go from 0-60 mph in approx 4 seconds
2. all od these bikes have a top speed of around 130 mph
3. all of these bikes look really cool, exotic, sexy, etc..
4. all of these bikes corner like a fly
5. all of these bikes are Ducati

There are many different points and reasons to the 3 new Monsters, and simply looking at their engine sizes does not tell the whole story, it's a bit more complicated than that..................................
Yes that is all true at a very high level, and that is exactly how my wife thinks about motorcycles. Also just a FYI - 696 and 1100 do not have same times for 0 to 60.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I have heard many HD owners talk the same language. If one is not about power and speed then I wonder why would they like to buy a Ducati, maybe HD or some cruiser would be a better fit. Unless budget is the reason, which I can justify (money runs the world) there is no reason why you should go for 696 instead of 1100.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think that all this needs to be put in to perspective.

The 696 has more power than the Monster 750, the Monster S2R 800, and the Monster 900.

If it's all about speed and power, why is anyone riding these older bikes? The answer... It isn't. It's about buying a bike you like and not having to justify your choices to the rest of the world.

Besides, if all you were looking for was speed and power, you wouldn't be looking at Ducati, you'd be out there with the Hayabusa crowd.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think that all this needs to be put in to perspective.

The 696 has more power than the Monster 750, the Monster S2R 800, and the Monster 900.

If it's all about speed and power, why is anyone riding these older bikes? The answer... It isn't. It's about buying a bike you like and not having to justify your choices to the rest of the world.

Besides, if all you were looking for was speed and power, you wouldn't be looking at Ducati, you'd be out there with the Hayabusa crowd.
I suggested HD or a cruiser if you are not looking for speed and power, maybe a chinese scooter might also satisfy your needs. We are talking about 696 vs 1100, lets stick to that. I still think money is the single most important reason why any guy would buy 696 and not 1100. You are just trying to play money's importance down while justifying 696 with less crucial points.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Gondolier, you are right, it is all about money, you bought a Monster 1100 because you could, not because you needed to. I would put money on you timing yourself on a twisty road somewhere, taking turns on all 3 Monsters, I guarantee you couln't do a faster time on the 1100, infact you would probably be best on a smaller machine. Of course in a straight line over a mile the 1100 would be fastest, that's called drag racing and it's really boring.

sf

ps. does having a big throbbing engine between your legs make you think that you are bigger in another department..........................................................

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I absolutely LOVE it when people decide that they are going to force their beliefs and agendas on other people. That "why would you buy that?" mentality is very telling.
I imagine that it is pretty much like that for everything.

"why did you buy that 48" tv? I have the 52" you must not have enough money for the 52."

"why didn't you get the V8?"
"well because the V6 is 300hp"
"Should have gotten the V8, that's what I have"

This is copied from Ducati.ms
696 1100
0-60 3.71 3.38
0-100 9.79 8.35
0-120 18.53 16.03
Standing 1/4 [email protected] [email protected]
Standind Mile [email protected] [email protected]
Top Speed 129mph 132mph

If you feel you need to make judgments about people based on those small differences, then you and your buddies at the gym can have at it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I absolutely LOVE it when people decide that they are going to force their beliefs and agendas on other people. That "why would you buy that?" mentality is very telling.
I imagine that it is pretty much like that for everything.

"why did you buy that 48" tv? I have the 52" you must not have enough money for the 52."

"why didn't you get the V8?"
"well because the V6 is 300hp"
"Should have gotten the V8, that's what I have"

This is copied from Ducati.ms
696 1100
0-60 3.71 3.38
0-100 9.79 8.35
0-120 18.53 16.03
Standing 1/4 [email protected] [email protected]
Standind Mile [email protected] [email protected]
Top Speed 129mph 132mph

If you feel you need to make judgments about people based on those small differences, then you and your buddies at the gym can have at it.
Well ..this is a not a correct example!! correct example would be when someone tries to justify buying 60Hz 47 inch TV compared to 120 Hz 47 inch TV.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You're right... I don't know what I was thinking. :)

I still want to know if I would be "cool" if I had a Monster 900 or an S2R 800?
You know, since I'm somehow less of a man because I have a more powerfull bike than either of those.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I suggested HD or a cruiser if you are not looking for speed and power, maybe a chinese scooter might also satisfy your needs. We are talking about 696 vs 1100, lets stick to that. I still think money is the single most important reason why any guy would buy 696 and not 1100. You are just trying to play money's importance down while justifying 696 with less crucial points.
You think that, but it sounds like you're an idiot. Money is not the only reason to buy a 696 over an 1100. I know many people with 10+ bikes, of which a 696 is one. It's a damn good city bike (much easier to ride than the 1100), lighter, and damn near as quick (if not quicker for 75% of the people riding them).

These are reasons to ride the 696.

Money is a reason, but not the only one to buy a smaller engine, especially when you're talking small speed differences.

Maybe, it's why any guy like you, would do it. But not any guy. Smart ones consider the pros/cons of the situation before purchasing, they don't just say "oh, bigger"

by the way, I have an 1100. I purchased it because I wanted to build off that platform. It's an excellent base to create what could have been a supersport1100. I prefer the firmer dry clutch feel to the wet, and the sssarm.

I've put at least 2000 miles on a 696 (not mine, I just borrow it often, because it's pretty fun to flog it). and more than 9000 on my 1100.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts