Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Ive recently bought a 1100s. (this sat)

As its having some teething problems (wireing loose somewhere) ive had to drop it off at the garage and they have lent me their 696.

From riding it something about the bar to seat position geometry seems a little more familiar. Does anyone know if the 696 has lower or closer bars ?

I am contemplating putting clipon's on my 1100s as ive only ever riden full sports bikes so the bar position is a little uncertain to me. Either way i got the monster as it ticks so many of the other box's.

Ive set the sag as close as i can on my bike and turned down the compression 1 notch but wondering to start dropping the rebound a bit too.

Interested on input on the clipons and bar position or suspension setup changes to try. Given that its the ohlins i should be able to get it to the point that it feels amazing. At the moment the bars just seem light.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi guys,

Ive recently bought a 1100s. (this sat)

As its having some teething problems (wireing loose somewhere) ive had to drop it off at the garage and they have lent me their 696.

From riding it something about the bar to seat position geometry seems a little more familiar. Does anyone know if the 696 has lower or closer bars ?

I am contemplating putting clipon's on my 1100s as ive only ever riden full sports bikes so the bar position is a little uncertain to me. Either way i got the monster as it ticks so many of the other box's.

Ive set the sag as close as i can on my bike and turned down the compression 1 notch but wondering to start dropping the rebound a bit too.

Interested on input on the clipons and bar position or suspension setup changes to try. Given that its the ohlins i should be able to get it to the point that it feels amazing. At the moment the bars just seem light.
Standard bars give you much more leverage so you need a lot less push on the bar to get the bike to turn and since you have only ridden with clipons this may be the cause of what you describe as "light" . When you say you set the sag as "close as you can" is odd. Setting the sag is THE place to start but it should be set to your weight with your gear on & if you can't get it set you need new springs. Get someone who knows what there doing because setting sag is a simple measurement and should be exact. There are many good how-to's & articles on the net about suspension you should read them. Suspension settings are very individual from one guy to the next. Some guys can rip on real soft settings and others need it real firm . After you get a baseline setting with the correct sag. Start adjusting one thing at time, take notes and you will find your ideal setting. Also ride height will also greatly affect how a bike turns this is affected by rear shock length, fork tube position in triple clamp and even tire sizes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah no worries. the sag is currently at 40mm both ends as i cant get closer with the front preload. Im probably just under 19 stone with gear on so the front springs are too light for me.

The rear didnt need too much more preload but i am considering putting the rear to 35 to improve the way it turns in but i think some of this is just getting back into riding a bike again.

Ive been on track cars ect for a while and i think some of this is getting back in the groove of riding. I probably need to edge on the softer side settings until i get confidence in what grip i have and put it back up.

When i switched back to the 1100 from 696 this morning i thought wow this is a much better bike. More power, higher ride height felt good it just didnt like the bumps as much so probably too much compression but not enough rebound.

I guess i'll get what i can out of this with standard bars and if im still left wanting switch to clipons. Once it passes its 500miles service first service i'll swap the springs out.

I am stil undecided if i just need to work out what springs i need and get the dealer to fit them or actually go to a proper suspension shop who will take the time with air gaps ect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts