Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying an 09 Monster, and I was wondering how big the power difference is from the 696 to the 1100. I'm not a newbie, but I don't have years of experience either. I don't want to drop the money on a 696 only to get bored. Any insight?

·
Registered
225 Posts

Test ride them both.

The 1100 has a bunch more low end, both have about the same top speed, and both handle better than most. I am far from a new rider but with the lighter weight, lower seat height, ECU &exhaust swap, and gearing change, prefer the much higher red line and more linear power delivery of the 696 for my riding style. I only use it for around town and back road blasting so being able to ride the 696 at 90% most of the time works better for me. If it was my only bike (I have 5) and was going to run the highway, it would have been the 1100. Only you know what you want and how you will use the bike. First thing to remember when looking at a Ducati is that there is much more to a motorcycle than published HP.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Test ride them both.

The 1100 has a bunch more low end, both have about the same top speed, and both handle better than most. I am far from a new rider but with the lighter weight, lower seat height, ECU &exhaust swap, and gearing change, prefer the much higher red line and more linear power delivery of the 696 for my riding style. I only use it for around town and back road blasting so being able to ride the 696 at 90% most of the time works better for me. If it was my only bike (I have 5) and was going to run the highway, it would have been the 1100. Only you know what you want and how you will use the bike. First thing to remember when looking at a Ducati is that there is much more to a motorcycle than published HP.

Thanks for the insight! I will try and test ride them both. I have a feeling that I would be using it much the same as you do, so perhaps the 696 would work for me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
And as for the «shape» of the man ?

I went to my nearest Ducati dealer to get some info on the 696, and the seller told me right away that I should go right away with the 1100 because of my stature. I'm 6'1" and weight is above 215 :(

But the thing is that he never got infos on how many years have I been riding and what kind of experience I've got... (wich is none; I was shopping my first bike!)

The point is : They are working for their own pocket ! Just buy the one that you «feel» and you wont regret it... I ended up with an used '02 S4 an I'm just loving every minute of it !

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And as for the «shape» of the man ?

I went to my nearest Ducati dealer to get some info on the 696, and the seller told me right away that I should go right away with the 1100 because of my stature. I'm 6'1" and weight is above 215 :(

But the thing is that he never got infos on how many years have I been riding and what kind of experience I've got... (wich is none; I was shopping my first bike!)

The point is : They are working for their own pocket ! Just buy the one that you «feel» and you wont regret it... I ended up with an used '02 S4 an I'm just loving every minute of it !
I'm 6'1" and about 220 at the moment. I am not a speed demon, and I enjoy riding twisty mountain roads and will probably only ride on the highway very rarely. Can you do much to get more power out of a 696?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Since we're kind of the same size; I'll tell you what the seller told me.

He just told me that the 696 would be fun for 2-3 month, the time I get used to it and become safe and secure on how the bike react and everything. And THEN when I would be ready to get to the next level... well I might have been disapointed...

The only truth in that is that I'll never know because I haven't bought a 696 .!.!

Good luck !

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since we're kind of the same size; I'll tell you what the seller told me.

He just told me that the 696 would be fun for 2-3 month, the time I get used to it and become safe and secure on how the bike react and everything. And THEN when I would be ready to get to the next level... well I might have been disapointed...

The only truth in that is that I'll never know because I haven't bought a 696 .!.!

Good luck !
I'm not a complete beginner and have ridden some pretty big/fast bikes. I just rode a v-rod for 2 days straight and put about 500 miles on it and they are fast as hell and I loved it. I don't need that much power, but it's nice to have. I guess I really need to ride them both to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it possible to get the 1100 in white? That is a sweet color and I love the way the 696 looks in white with the black frame.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mummer43,

I own several other bikes including an '08 Night Rod Special with the 1250 motor and some "upgrades". it is also over 650 lbs and the 696 with dropped gearing and the DP ECU will leave it in the dust in all situations. The V-rod just feels fast, and as you know, doesn't like to turn, which is where either Duc shines :)

Riding them both is the only way to know, with your height the 1100 might fit you better which is most important, but remember, it's a dealers job to sell bikes and they will always lead you toward the more expensive model then try to set you up for the next buy.

If you go into a car dealer and buy a Civic Si do they tell you that you will get bored with it in six months and then need to buy the Corvette ?? I love the predatory attitude, and they love newer riders wallets.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I guess it depends on the dealership, but if they are worth their salt they would point you toward what is best for the rider. If you hear a salesman telling you that you are going to be bored on a 696 in a few months, promptly turn around and walk out the door as their credibility has just been destroyed!!!

I am 6'2" and my 696 feels fine. I would love to have an 1100, but for the time being I am really enjoying the "baby monster".

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mummer43,

I own several other bikes including an '08 Night Rod Special with the 1250 motor and some "upgrades". it is also over 650 lbs and the 696 with dropped gearing and the DP ECU will leave it in the dust in all situations. The V-rod just feels fast, and as you know, doesn't like to turn, which is where either Duc shines :)

Riding them both is the only way to know, with your height the 1100 might fit you better which is most important, but remember, it's a dealers job to sell bikes and they will always lead you toward the more expensive model then try to set you up for the next buy.

If you go into a car dealer and buy a Civic Si do they tell you that you will get bored with it in six months and then need to buy the Corvette ?? I love the predatory attitude, and they love newer riders wallets.

The v-rod I rode was an 09 and had the 240 rear tire. I have been riding for several years, and all of my riding has consisted of renting various Buells and Harleys from my local dealer. It's a great way to figure out what you like and don't like. I would say I have ridden every bike they make at least once. I definitely prefer a twin over an I-4, and that is what has lead me to the Monster.

I was dead set on a Harley, but after my most recent weekend of riding, I decided I would like something a little more sporty. I rode the Buell XB9 and had a great time, but the bike just didn't do anything for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well for my two bobs worth...........
I have several toys and without going into all of them at the risk of sounding like an MNO w$%k*r, let me say, when I walked into my Ducati dealer, who knows me very well and knows that price wasnt a factor for me, I was considering the 1100 or perhaps the streetfighter.

I am sure this post will start a long conversation but after telling him what I wanted the bike for.namebly.....commuting a few days a week, riding around town..and the weekend 30min to 60 min blast for breakfast and back before the wife and kids are out of bed........he insisted i buy the 696. More to the point her offered me a gauranteed buy back rpice if I wasnt happy within 6-12 months and a predeterimned changeover to either the other 2 bikes.

Now that said, I have had the bike for about 6 weeks and would have to say anybody who says they need more power around town has to be a skilled superbike racer or a tosser trying to prove a point. The 696 is no rocket but with the exhaust and other previously recomended tweeks it is awesome. Before you start moaning and groaning...yes there are faster bikes that will let you pop the front wheel in any gear (the 696 wont) but seriously, you shouldnt be doing that around town anyway.

So my take is...you want a great handling awesome sounding 70-80% around town bike the 696 is hard to go past. You want to do track work buy another bike. You want to cruis from state to state and drive around the country for days and weeks on end, buy another bike. You want to have awesome fun around town, pull some hot stres and looks, sound great and feel like a better rider than you are.the 696 belongsin your garage.

NOw before you reply to this post talking about my competencies or lack there of, get out your CAMS log book and quote your times and tracks then we will talk. Be it on 2 wheels or four unless you are sponsored I would tread carefully. This said I state this only to point out that I am qualified to talk about what is appropriate power and what isnt.

The 696 is all about fun and passion.

·
Registered
197 Posts
since i have both bikes, i feel qualified to chip in on this.

if you want more of a rush of top-end power, get a superduke or an inline four. neither the 696 or the 1100 will give you that.

the 696 is great because of what it doesn't do as much as what it does. you want more performance? lose some weight and drop the gearing (that's what i did). what it does do a very good job at is making you feel special. you either will love this bike or not. it actually took me 3,000 miles to fully appreciate the monster.

the 1100S has a completely different feel. i'm dropping the gearing on her, too, but don't think i can lose another 8lbs as well... :)
far superior suspension, and i'm having an ohlins-trained guy at my dealer set the suspension up once i pick the bike up from her 1st service.

the one thing i don't think about is power output figs. when i have real-world torque available. side by side, the 696 sits much smaller, and this gives you a lot of confidence throwing her into a bend.

no regrets on getting the 696. or the 1100S.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks to everyone. I to am shopping for my first bike. I am 6' 245lbs. I have been shopping around various bikes and have happily chosen the 696. After a couple of dealers tried to sell me liter bikes because I am a big guy, without even considering the fact that I have ridden only a dirt bike for all of an hour. When I walked into the Ducati dealer just to drool, the salesman actually took the time to recommend a few bikes that would be good for a beginner. After looking at some kawi's, yama's, and even cbr's, I couldn't take the riding position. The monster has a great seating position, good power and brakes, and I can easily flat foot while sitting on the bike. Thanks again for helping convince me that I am making the right choice.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well for my two bobs worth...........
I have several toys and without going into all of them at the risk of sounding like an MNO w$%k*r, let me say, when I walked into my Ducati dealer, who knows me very well and knows that price wasnt a factor for me, I was considering the 1100 or perhaps the streetfighter.

I am sure this post will start a long conversation but after telling him what I wanted the bike for.namebly.....commuting a few days a week, riding around town..and the weekend 30min to 60 min blast for breakfast and back before the wife and kids are out of bed........he insisted i buy the 696. More to the point her offered me a gauranteed buy back rpice if I wasnt happy within 6-12 months and a predeterimned changeover to either the other 2 bikes.

Now that said, I have had the bike for about 6 weeks and would have to say anybody who says they need more power around town has to be a skilled superbike racer or a tosser trying to prove a point. The 696 is no rocket but with the exhaust and other previously recomended tweeks it is awesome. Before you start moaning and groaning...yes there are faster bikes that will let you pop the front wheel in any gear (the 696 wont) but seriously, you shouldnt be doing that around town anyway.

So my take is...you want a great handling awesome sounding 70-80% around town bike the 696 is hard to go past. You want to do track work buy another bike. You want to cruis from state to state and drive around the country for days and weeks on end, buy another bike. You want to have awesome fun around town, pull some hot stres and looks, sound great and feel like a better rider than you are.the 696 belongsin your garage.

NOw before you reply to this post talking about my competencies or lack there of, get out your CAMS log book and quote your times and tracks then we will talk. Be it on 2 wheels or four unless you are sponsored I would tread carefully. This said I state this only to point out that I am qualified to talk about what is appropriate power and what isnt.

The 696 is all about fun and passion.
Nice post, thanks for taking the time. Since this bike would be ridden for an hour or two at a time at most, including a good amount in town, I will likely set my sights on the 696. I am not looking to bring the front wheel up in every gear, but I am looking for a bike that will rip through a turn and be able to accelerate out of it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
if you ride a lot in town (i live in the middle of D.C.) i highly recommend the oil cooler. a few mins sitting at big intersections in warm weather will have you convinced.

it may be me, but i hate the stock gearing, but that's why you get a DP catalog with every bike...

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you ride a lot in town (i live in the middle of D.C.) i highly recommend the oil cooler. a few mins sitting at big intersections in warm weather will have you convinced.

it may be me, but i hate the stock gearing, but that's why you get a DP catalog with every bike...
What gearing would you recommend?

·
Registered
197 Posts
on the 696, i went to a 14T front (cheapest and easiest solution)
on the 1100S i went up 3 teeth on the rear to a 42T.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I just got back from test riding both. I rode the 696 first. That thing is pretty quick and feels good. I really enjoyed riding it. Everybody is right though, you gotta keep the revs high. When I jumped on the 1100, WOW... I could definitely feel the difference in the low end. The 696 is smaller and I could tell the difference standing over it (I'm 5' 11")

For me, I'm going with the 1100. Could I live with a 696? Yes, and I'd probably be very happy with it and never get tired or it, but I love the single swing arm and the low end torque.

You can't go wrong with either one. You really must go ride both for yourself and make the decision on your own, don't let the dealer try to steer you toward either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts