Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i am at 4848 miles on the monster and need a new rear. Started walking out on me a few weeks ago on some not all that wet pavement - so i looked and sure enough I am into the indicators. Does that sound about normal? Street rider - no track days yet. I am running the Bridgestone Batlax... Not worried about it - just curious what life others are getting from their consumables.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, at about 5,000 miles I put a nail in the rear and had to replace it. The tire was not at the wear points yet, but was worn more than the front. Also, I am an older street rider. I replaced both tires with the Michelin Road-2 which is a dual compound tire that seems to really work well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
about 16,000 Km on Batlax

I got about 16000 km out of the original Brigstones. Mostly city riding. Also went for the road pilot 2...Great tyre! I am no racer. Most of my traveling is now highway in central Queensland, Australia... not always the grippiest but they certainly are wearing better...i run found tyre pressure really changes grip and wear. On my own the 33psi front and 36 psi rear is pretty good for low wear but 32 front & rear is really grippy and heats up very well when i find a smooth piece of road, not much round hear...two up the 33/36 is quiet grippy and of coarse wears a bit but i also back of the rear shock when two up.

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
173 Posts
6500 km on the rear tire and it needed to be replaced. Long trips seem to cause a lot of wear and short ones do not. I think as the tire heats up on long rides it just wears out a lot faster. I'm sure my 14t front sprocket will help wear out my new battle axe in record time!;D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the psi tip - i will have to keep a better eye on that. maybe use a little more pressure on the longer trips.

My 14T front may have had a little to do with the wear as well. Go Daddy_ Go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just looked and have 8000Km since new road pilot 2's and have still better than 75% of original tread depth. Only a slight flat line in the center of the rear tyre.

I had some issues with the battlax blistering when two up on the curly mountain rides...haven't seen this with the Michelin's.

I have a 08 696 - i have no idea what the factory front sprocket was but got one tooth less replacement to overcome the ultra lean overheating issue at 100km/hr...The difference of the line and out of corners is quiet impressive but will likly return to original sprocket when terimi's fitted as i understand they don't have the ultra-lean feul map settings and i want the legs back up high for low rpm cruising, currently 100km/hr is about 4600rpm.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thx Dan - I will look into the Michelins next time around. (I am just replacing the rear tire this week) I have heard the front should last the distance of 2-3 rear tires...

Also - i never thought of adjusting the rear shock when going two up - but that makes alot of sense - thx for the tip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the 696 the rear has a shock damper rebound adjustment located at the top of the rear spring. turning clockwise stiffens the ride and anti clock wise softens the ride...it states in the owners manual "to adapt the rear suspension to suit the load conditions." The setting has about 10 noches that i can feel, 1 being softest and 10 being hardest.

When i am on my own and travelling shorter distances i prefer the highest setting - the bike is very sharp and responsive in handling, it is also a bit brutal on the rider, good for quick riding...but not so comfortable and i have noticed that the harder settings are not favorable in the wet or on gravel or unsealed roads...unless you really like out of the saddle one foot down motor cross style cornering and basically driving the bike very aggressively with the throttle.

When riding distances one up i back it down to about 7 and find some relief from the jarring on my back, also as mentioned is a bit more forgiving on unpredictable surfaces.

When riding two up i set the shock about 5 because with the additional weight of my wife the ride is still responsive but not punishing on the passenger, i have made the mistake of not backing it of once and regret that it caused allot of discomfort to my wife...very sore back and a head ache for a few days...

If i leave the shock at 3 and ride alone i find the bike wallows and is unresponsive.

I personally would like to see a front damper adjustment, i think they are available after-market for the 696. I find the front dives a bit much on heavy braking and in some sharp corners is a bit too soft...i'm about 90kgs so probably a bit on the heavy side for the optimum design spec for performance riding...but really this is not a high end bike but is a very capable commuter with some athletic abilities...I really enjoy the bike and will likely keep tweeking things while my budget cannot stretch to a street fighter...(Ugly but oooohhhh so much fun).

I hope this has answered your question.

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the clarification - because I was thinking to take it the other way for going two up.... making it stiffer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm by no means an Xspert but comfort wise the lower setting is better. I might theorize that the handling characteristic would be the trade of in exchange for comfort.

If i were to set out wanting better handling i would need to weigh up my wife's comfort, which i might add is directly proportionate to my own comfort, verses my desire enjoy the pleasurable riding that some roads offer if your bikes handling is up to it, the little Monster is very able in this regard but their are compromises - my wife enjoys the quick windy mountain roads and is o.k. with the higher settings if the surface is good but when the ride to said roads is a few hours long on pretty rough country highways she prefers that we stop and soften the ride.

Cheers

Dan

(X=unknown quantity + spert=drip under pressure)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts