Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just came across your post after a Google search. Yesterday I put the Evo tail tidy kit on my 696 and I ruined the same four bolts that attach the seat mounting plate. I'm glad I wasn't the only person who had problems with those damn things. I had to carve two of the bolts outs. But I'm interested in the bag-- I'm not familiar with luggage. Who makes them?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ducati Tailbag & Panniers

AHoffer,

I bought my tail bag & panniers straight from the local Portland Ducati dealer Motocorsa. I found them in the Ducati accessories catalog and liked the neat, made-for-my-bike look. The pannier quality seems a little better than the tail bag, though I have been using the tail bag steadily for 2 years without failure. I paid $200 for the tail bag and $300 for the panniers, if memory serves me.... (well, maybe $450ish for both)

I just came across your post after a Google search. Yesterday I put the Evo tail tidy kit on my 696 and I ruined the same four bolts that attach the seat mounting plate. I'm glad I wasn't the only person who had problems with those damn things. I had to carve two of the bolts outs. But I'm interested in the bag-- I'm not familiar with luggage. Who makes them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
removing the 4 bolts

hey everyone, I know this thread is pretty old now, but just incase anyone else is looking for information on those 4 pain-in-a$$ bolts that tend to strip... 2 of 4 stripped for me and (since I am lucky to work at a chemical factory with a maintenance shop) I was able to get a welder to tack weld a hex key in the top of the stripped bolts and they came out with ease... he recommended next time, that if they feel realy stiff right away, dont keep going, heat them up first with a torch then unscrew them.. cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a hell of a time removing those 4 bolts. I used a torch to loosen them, but never-the-less I stripped all the heads, save one.

I ended up cutting out a chunk of the heads and then using a cold chisel and hammer to tap the bolts in a counter-clockwise direction. It worked surprisingly well, but spot welding a hex key would have been even better.

I replaced those those the Allen head screws good quality hex head bolts. Problem solved.

·
Registered
162 Posts
A little late on this one, but I also have the DP side bags for my 09 M1100 and love them! To add to this thread, if you have a chopped tail and have used the comp werkes unit you will have to modify the rear signal lamp mounts to make it work with the bag frames. I didn't like the key location or how far forward the comp werkes fender eliminator moved the plate ahead (small stones took out my tail light lens) so I switched to a Evotech unit. The Evotech didn't require any mods to the signal mounts to work with the DP side bag mounts and has also moved the plate back enough to protect the tail lamp from getting hit with small stones picked up in the tire.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Torch

I tried some heat, though I was quite concerned about peeling paint on what was then, nearly a brand new bike. It's a shame that this is an issue at all. I found out the bolts wouldn't extract just before a trip, so it was extra frustrating. The dealer later took care of the problem for me and explained the bolts may have been installed into a frame with wet paint, causing the tough extraction....

·
Registered
302 Posts
AHoffer,

I bought my tail bag & panniers straight from the local Portland Ducati dealer Motocorsa. I found them in the Ducati accessories catalog and liked the neat, made-for-my-bike look. The pannier quality seems a little better than the tail bag, though I have been using the tail bag steadily for 2 years without failure. I paid $200 for the tail bag and $300 for the panniers, if memory serves me.... (well, maybe $450ish for both)
You say $300 for the panniers (bought from Portland Ducati), do you mean $300 for the side bags and the frame?

·
Registered
138 Posts
MysticBluex~

I just tried it... my Macbook (measuring 15" diagonally) just fits in my "Ducati" pannier, albeit awkwardly. It fits diagonally within the bag with a tight fit on the last corner, no padded case (just a naked laptop). But it fits. There is a second zipper that functions to open a baffle and create more room; that would make a difference though the bike sits a bit wide at the hips that way. (I have pix of my tour with the bags if you want....). Also, the bags are not at all water-proof. The tailbag came with a shower cap of sorts, but the panniers not. Though they have in internal plastic stiffener and a draw-cord inner liner of sorts, the bags are not designed to keep water out. Though, a mild, short ride in rain would not soak your clothes, I wouldn't trust a laptop in it. My suggestion - for aesthetics, easy of use, and cost effectiveness would be to simply use a backpack.

And yes, about three bills for two panniers and the framework. (Though my inability to extract the bolts needed to secure the frame cost me more when I had the dealer do it.)

good luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
MysticBluex~

I just tried it... my Macbook (measuring 15" diagonally) just fits in my "Ducati" pannier, albeit awkwardly. It fits diagonally within the bag with a tight fit on the last corner, no padded case (just a naked laptop). But it fits. There is a second zipper that functions to open a baffle and create more room; that would make a difference though the bike sits a bit wide at the hips that way. (I have pix of my tour with the bags if you want....). Also, the bags are not at all water-proof. The tailbag came with a shower cap of sorts, but the panniers not. Though they have in internal plastic stiffener and a draw-cord inner liner of sorts, the bags are not designed to keep water out. Though, a mild, short ride in rain would not soak your clothes, I wouldn't trust a laptop in it. My suggestion - for aesthetics, easy of use, and cost effectiveness would be to simply use a backpack.

And yes, about three bills for two panniers and the framework. (Though my inability to extract the bolts needed to secure the frame cost me more when I had the dealer do it.)

good luck!
Thanks for answering my questions! The reason I ask about the laptop is I really don't like carrying a backpack. I want something that will hold my laptop when I commute to work (30miles one way). I also do trips between arizona and california (350miles one way). That's why I wanted to see if a laptop would fit in the saddle bags. Its a bummer that its not waterproof. Are there water proof laptop backpacks?

Anyways, it is such a good deal at $300 for the bags + frame. Evey where online is asking $500. At $300, I may just order it from Portland Ducati and pay them to ship it to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is 540$ the standard price to pay for the DP semi-rigid side bags?
Seems to me it's hard to find it cheaper.

Is it possible to build a comparable Givi alternative for less?

Renaud

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
138 Posts
Pricey

Yes, the Ducati panniers are expensive (just like the bike). Givi had no alternative when I purchased them, but may now - I don't know.

On the upside, they work. They're not too big (can be seen as good or bad), are not water-proof, and not that robust. BUT... they mount well (solid), look good and are light-weight. With the DP top case you can camp-tour on your Monster. They are W-I-D-E on the bike (so beware), but this allows room for lashing a tent over them (and/or sleeping bag) if you need to. I had my friend carry my tent when camping, while I packed a sleeping bag, stove and mess kit clothing and personal items in my bags.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pricey

Yes, the Ducati panniers are expensive (just like the bike). Givi had no alternative when I purchased them, but may now - I don't know.

On the upside, they work. They're not too big (can be seen as good or bad), are not water-proof, and not that robust. BUT... they mount well (solid), look good and are light-weight. With the DP top case you can camp-tour on your Monster. They are W-I-D-E on the bike (so beware), but this allows room for lashing a tent over them (and/or sleeping bag) if you need to. I had my friend carry my tent when camping, while I packed a sleeping bag, stove and mess kit clothing and personal items in my bags.

Hope that helps!
hi mtbjay.....do you still have those panniers?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I went with the Givi top case. I can switch out different size cases and remove them easliy if no case needed. Never cared for the side bags. I have a 30L and a big 46L for long trips. I also found a way to easily attach a Patagonia Black Hole water proof bag on the passenger seat. Tons of storage.

I was out of town 3 weeks for work with my Monster with this setup and still had room for my work tool bag and laptop. This is the 46L case. The 30L looks much smaller and still holds my laptop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If everything goes right I would say easier then installing a short tail. For me it wasn't that easy because:
1. My original short tail kit (R&D i think) didn't work, the turn signals were in the way of metal brackets. So I had to put the stock tail back for now.
2. The original four screws were so tight that my allen wrench slipped and they all got damaged but luckily I was able to get them out. I replaced them with regular screws from local hardware shop, as seen on the last picture.

Here are a few less crappy photos:

hi Duality, do you still own it?

61 - 75 of 75 Posts