Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
How easy is it to pop the brakets off if you wanted to?
Am I right in thinking that the brackets are held on by just the four silver screws you showed in your last picture?
Yes, the brackets are attached to the bike with four silver screws as seen on the last picture. To remove the brackets one would need to remove one screw from the lower part of metal brackets that attaches left and right sides together, then unscrew the four silver screws, remove the brackets and put four screws back. Should take no more then 15 minutes. BTW, as I said before I put the silver screws myself as original screws, which were black got damaged.

How weather proof are they? They look pretty good. Do the contents get hot from the exhausts?
They supposed to be waterproof. I haven't done any long trips, but after 20 minutes of riding I didn't notice contents being hot.

Which windscreen are you using?
barracuda

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are the side bags waterproof or come with rain covers?
There are no covers. They are waterproof.
how much of a difference does that wind screen make at highway speeds?
It reduces the wind drag on your chest and your helmet. It make your highway riding more pleasant. Just trying riding on a highway for a while and if you think that the wind drag is too high then buy the screen.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Just found the thread. I really like the look of the baracuda windscreen. The bags look nice, good to know they're that easy to get on and off. I tried taking those black bolts off one time when I was just playing with stuff, those suckers were on tight...really tight. Thanks for the good pics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any chance you can fit your helmet in one of the bags? Looks like it could be close in the pictures but I don't have my bike in front of me for perspective. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
696 Saddle Bags

Well, I started this topic, so I guess I should finish it.

I finally got around to installing the saddle bags on my wife's 696 and we went for a 6 hour ride with them. Here's my observations:

1] Installation is a snap. 15 minutes at the most. When removing the 4 screw, don't use an allen wrench. They are put in with loctite and you will strip the head of the screw. I used a good sized ratchet wrench with a hex attachment and they came out fine. There is a rod that joins the brackets under the wheel well and the instructions suggest to screw it in with loctite. I wouldn’t recommend doing this because you probably won’t want to leave the frame on your bike when you don’t need it and it will be a PITA to remove the screws if you use loctite. The frame is so easily installed and removed that I would just put it on when you need the packs and remove it when you don’t

2] The bike looks great with the bags installed, and it even looks half decent with just the frame on. However, you probably won’t want to leave the frame on when you’re not using the packs because you can’t have the rear cowl on with the saddle bag frame. If you try to install the seat with the cowl on, it will destroy the cowl. It won’t fit with the OEM seat or the DP touring seat.

3] There’s a nylon layer with a draw string that I think is supposed to be the plastic waterproof cover. Presumably this membrane surrounds the bags. The draw string is quite flimsy and looks like it would tear pretty fast.

4] My wife said she didn't notice the bags - even at speed. They don’t interfere with your leg when you mount the bike (like a tail bag would). They look great and attach and release from the bike very easily. There is a key lock so they can’t be stolen. They are easy to cary once removed from the bike. They are fairly small, but should be adequate for 2-5 day trips. There’s no way you’re gonna fit a helmet in them.

5] The heat shield works well and the things didn’t get very hot

6] I accidentally put the bags on the wrong sides of the bike and I actually think they look better this way, but it's probably not a good idea becaues the heat shield isn't in the same location and the bags might burn. It may also affect the aerodynamics of the set-up, but we didn't have any problems.

7] I've got lots of picture, but I can't figure out how to post more that 5. If anyone can tell me how, I will put them up

On the whole, I am very impressed with the bags and think they were well worth the money. We are planning on a big trip and I think they will be perfect. I just wish the frame would fit with the rear cowl. The bike looks great with the cowl, and my wife would rather (me) remove the frame when she's not using the packs than not use the cowl.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Thanks for the pics and observations. Would the frame just hit the cowl and that's why you wouldn't recommend? I guess I'm asking because I was wondering if you could put the rear bag on that ducati make that screws into the cowl holes?

If so that'd be a pretty nice setup and I might have to get that system before I head up to the Michigan to ride The Mitt this year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The seat won't fit on the bike if the cowl is attached. It will destroy the cowl where it contacts the frame if you try. You would have to cut slots in the cowl where it contacts the frame. Not worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got a set in Feb, from comotto, sight unseen but i just needed the luggage space for travelling and could not find anything else.

My initial quieries were very hard to satisfy and in the end i just bit the bullet and bought them in the hope that Ducati would have thought it through properly...yeah i know a bit of a leap of faith with some things...but it worked out.

I was concerned about the fitting over the exhaust. The do sit outside the exhaust and have a heat shield fitted to the area that is closest to the factory exhaust, unsure about terimis but i think from what ive seen they are actually narrower diameter so would be more distant anyway.

The mounting frame is very sturdy and looks o.k. when the bags are not there.

You can still have a pillion with the bags fitted, my wife is 6 foot tall and finds it comfy, initially we had some issues with her putting her feet on the rear pegs properly, she always preferred to put her heal on the peg but this with a size 9 boot caused her left foot to foul my left foot when down changing in a banked left bend...solution put foot on peg in front of boot heel.

It took me a little while to adjust to the width and the bike handles a bit different when loaded and the bags are just wider than the mirror tips so NO narrow gap slipping.

Have pictures and will upload if anyone is interested. have just ordered tank bag as well so my little 696 will really look like a pack horse.

I can say that the bags look better than any aftermarket ones i have seen and can be locked to the frame.

Now i want to find a DC power output on the bike so i can make a usb charging socket for my phone & headset. will post a new thread re this soon...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was not able to open youre link to see the pic. are these the factory soft side bags you are talking about? I was looking at a set for my '08 695. I have not been able to locate a diagram on the mounting bracket. My concern is that I have eleminated the rear fender and am wondering if this will be a problem? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello mnstrgurlie. I am not certain but i understand the 08 695 to be quiet a different frame and exhaust arrangement from that of the 08 696... I would recommend making some inquiries regarding this...

If it is similar i don't think that the rear fender change would change much for the bag bracket as it is fixed to the frame under the seat.

I have attached some photo's of the bracket...

Cheers

Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Dan - thank you for the last pics. I was wondering how it mounted. Looks like I could use it with my CW fender eliminator. Only other mod I'd do is make it so I can put the seat cowl on. I never ride w/a passenger.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great thread, I've always wondered how those bags looked.

@amnesia and/or duality, would the 18L Ducati soft trunk/passenger bag interfere with the frames? Since it mounts into the seat using the same screws as the cowl, I wonder if I'm stuck to choosing between one and the other. Thanks!

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.