Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I saw them at my dealer. The quality seemed top notch. The are semi rigid and the side facing the exhaust seemed extra thick and protected. Sadly, my laptop wouldn't fit in them, so I went with a hard top bag instead. I would really like these side bags for touring, but since they woudnt work for commuting I went with another choice. I mght still pick them up for this summer :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is there a reason these cost $500? The price seems ridiculous even for Ducati. The only way I'd pay for them is if the subframe holds the bags away from the exhaust.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would say theres two reasons for the price... There is a mounting kit that is very sturdy that the bags fit into which does keep them from moving around and away from the exhaust. Also, I would say these are closer to a hard bag, than a traditional soft bag. They are heavy, solid, and while the outside is "sky" fabric, they underlining construction has some solid pieces. I definitely would suggest seeing them before you buy, but these are definitely not like the tourmaster or cortech bags which I would consider true soft saddle bags. Hope that makes sense!

Also, on my 650R I traded in for the Monster, I had hard side bags. They were a combo of a Mounting Kit from SW Moltec and Givi e21 bags. This setup cost me somewhere in the $400 price range, and was not a clean "stock" looking install. In my opinion, the DP Bags for the Monster 1100/696 look better, look designed for the bike, and provide great functionality. Honestly I was bummed not to buy them, but if I couldnt carry my laptop, at that point, there was no need to buy them. As I said, if you can go see them, feel them, I think you will see why they cost more. But then again. I think SW Moltec makes a rack kit (check twisted throttle) for softbags for the monster 1100/696. The rack is somethiing like $100, then you can put givi, tourmaster/cortec, or any other strapable softbag on that you want. The quality of the bag is what is the difference here I think. The DP parts felt more like a hardbag made with sky fabric than they did a traditional soft bag :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
The price for a couple of bags and mounts is actually not bad. The semi hard bags for the Victory I have would have been even more. Unfortunately, there always sems to be a "motorcycle" markup for most cycle products. I just added an Axio tail bag that looks factory and it was $150.00. When you think about it 250 a side for a lockable, removable, factory bag is not far from most manufacturers. Hey, at least the dollar is strong right now!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I can't comment on the bags, but Commonwealth Motorcycles is an outstanding dealer in Louisville, KY. I bought my 696 and lots of other stuff from them. Great staff and truly customer oriented.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been looking into using the Bags-Connection Speedpack Wide for a tour I am preparing to do up the PCH this summer. From what I can tell the wide version should mount without a problem and still clear the exhaust cans. Bags-Connection has many different options to chose from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pictures?

Does anyone have any pictures of this? Been riding to work a little more and it would be nice to have just a bit of cargo space. Other than this the only half-way decent looking cargo is some of the tank bags. 500 dollars is a bit steep but if they look/work nice...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked up a set at Ducati Seattle and they look quite nice. They are definitely the best option. The mount goes on easily and can be removed with little difficulty (although it doesn't look that bad and I'll probably keep it on). The nice thing is they are made for the bike so they will fit! I'll post some pictures when I put them on

Amnesia

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes please.

I'd be very interested in seeing what these bag look like installed.

Thanks,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Where abouts in Ontario do your ride??

Bags look good. How solid are they?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wonder why Ducati didnt put up a picture of these on a bike? I would had bought them when I had the funds a couple months ago!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Duality, would you please post some pictures of the bike with the mounts but not the bags themselves attached? How easily are the mounts put on the bike? Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
How easily are the mounts put on the bike?
If everything goes right I would say easier then installing a short tail. For me it wasn't that easy because:
1. My original short tail kit (R&D i think) didn't work, the turn signals were in the way of metal brackets. So I had to put the stock tail back for now.
2. The original four screws were so tight that my allen wrench slipped and they all got damaged but luckily I was able to get them out. I replaced them with regular screws from local hardware shop, as seen on the last picture.

Here are a few less crappy photos:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Those bags look like some good quality pieces. How easy is it to pop the brakets off if you wanted to?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank you for the pictures. It does look like a good kit. Am I right in thinking that the brackets are held on by just the four silver screws you showed in your last picture? I think I will look into the pillion bag as I don't really need much luggage space. If I ever needed more then this looks like an option you could put on for a big road trip and take off once you were done (and the bags on and off easily during the trip). How weather proof are they? They look pretty good. Do the contents get hot from the exhausts? I notice there is a air bit of heat shielding.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts